Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15907 - 04/20/05 03:27 AM National Music Week is May 1-8
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
National Music Week is the first full week of May, May 1-8. This annual celebration began in 1924. Its purpose is "to create an understanding and appreciation of the value of music in the home, the community, the nation, and the world."

Complete information, inspiration, and suggestions on how you can celebrate National Music Week are available here:
National Music Week Home Page

How will you observe National Music Week this year? \:\)

#15908 - 04/20/05 07:41 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
It's an interesting idea and sounds worthy, but having just found out about it, there really is'nt enough time to properly prepare anything with students... especially since most private teachers are usually getting ready for spring recitals this month or next. Should have let us know about this a couple of months sooner.

#15909 - 04/20/05 07:46 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Actually, I love the timing. I'm thinking Wow! 2 weeks Notice. I've had an idea. Starting with the very next lesson, I'm going to brainstorm with my students and put together a one week take-home calendar that shows daily activities to help celebrate the week. Things like - Visit the Library and select a Classical CD. Find a musical performance to put on your calendar for this summer. Purchase a piece of sheet music from a nearby music store., etc., etc. I think it'll be fun.

#15910 - 04/20/05 08:10 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

Lilla, what a great idea having the students input. Sometimes it's the simple things like that that make it more meaningful to them and simpler for us.
PVFTeach, mark your calendar for next year!

#15911 - 04/20/05 08:40 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

YES! This will be a lot of fun. And my Studio Festival will be during National Music Week! Parents will think I planned ahead \:\)

I love the idea of a calendar. I don't think that timing is a problem at all!!

Thanks so much Lilla. And since it's Spring Break for me this week, I'll have my calendar ready to pass out on Monday!!

#15912 - 04/20/05 08:42 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

All ready have!!!
I posted the info on my student and parent websites with a few ideas they can do, but it would have been nice to have more notice to do something like a community service tie in with this. (for things like this I like to go big) \:\) It would have been great to do an outdoor concert at a park and all the students donate a classical CD or book about a composer for the library or for children's hospital OR I could have had my students each perform a different type of genre in a mini concert and then share information about the composer of their piece OR I was also thinking that students could have handed out bookmarks to their class at school about national music week and then shared a song on their instrument in music class at school... there's always next year!

#15913 - 04/20/05 10:15 AM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Wow, you're quick!!

Would you like to share some of those ideas with all of us?

#15914 - 04/20/05 02:04 PM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

No problem.
The book/cd concert I did several years ago in the summer for a local battered womens shelter where they also had children. The students were prepped ahead of time that these were moms with kids that had some problems who are living in the shelter to get some help while they get back on their feet. (I left it up to the parents to go further in explaining if needed). We did a concert of pieces for the women and kids and each student brought a favorite CD or book to donate to the shelter. Younger kids brought kids stuff, older students got assistance picking out a classical CD or moms book to donate. It went over really big with everyone and the moms & kids at the shelter had a nice time visiting with us and hearing our performing. Libraries and kids hospitals also are accomodating to this for a special event. Ask libraries about doing a special story hour where you could read a book or two themed with music in it for kids (there are alot of good ones out there) and then have some students play their favorite childrens songs or classical pieces. Give each child a book mark to take home or order from OTC and get balloons to fill with helium printed with your studio name on it to hand out to each child.
The schools I've always worked with are great about letting kids share in music class or for show and tell a song with their class and then tell about their instrument or special event they played in. You could couple this with having them hand out music week bookmarks or bookmarks with your studio information on them somewhere. Kids love it when one of their own shares with them. Several of my group kids do this at their schools on their own by learning a piece and playing for music class or a chapel at school and they love it. The outdoor concert is easy. I just book a pavillion at a local park (be sure it has electric for a portable clavi or full keyboard. You will have to contact your local parks service about renting these- its fairly inexpensive to do). I provide a couple music stands and students play 2-3 pieces they like and know well. We keep pencils and brochures with the studio number on them to hand out to those who stop to inquire (and you will get passer bys who will ask about lessons from you. It gives you something quick to hand them with information), but for music week you could do balloons or bookmarks or even magnets or other small thing to give out. For outdoor concerts we repeat the program twice each time with a break in between. Takes about 2 hours. Afterwards you can have cupcakes or cookies and punch to celebrate with the students and their parents.

Other hand out ideas that are fairly inexpensive for your students:
mutes or bo peps (flute and violin thing)
book harp (holds open book pages for students)
book marks
purchase iron on transfer paper, design a music week logo and get a multi pack of boys/mens shirts. Pre wash the shirts and iron on the logos to give out to students who have done a great job to celebrate the week.
make a CD of their favorite pieces for them to keep and design an insert around music week.

Promo ideas for music week:
With an iron on logo and canvas tote from a craft center create a music tote. In it place an assignment journal, sheet music folder and coupons for 6 months of lessons and auction it off.

Do a promo concert for your studio with a mini program of performances (you and the students) and then hand out to each guest (encourage students to invite interested friends) a music info kit with a pencil, bookmark, brochure and CD of pieces by students from the year. You could also charge admission ($5.00 per person, students you teach free) and either donate the money to a worthwhile cause (red cross, an animal shelter,etc..) OR use it to start a scholarship fund for financially challenged students who show promise and ability.

Well, Ive gone long enough here, but I hope this gives you some ideas and explaining of how you can easily do these with a little planning on your part. I decided to use my students recital (29th of April) as a kick off to the week and then during music week they can pick one of the activities on my student site to do during the week. Next year though I'll have time to really plan ahead and do something special around the entire week.

#15915 - 04/20/05 03:04 PM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Incredible!

And what are the activities on your student site??

#15916 - 04/20/05 07:42 PM Re: National Music Week is May 1-8
D'Net Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Southwest
Also, PVF Teach, can you give us a link to your website? The things you do with your students is nothing short of remarkable!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics