Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15894 - 05/24/05 03:22 AM Recital
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I may be the last teacher to have her recital. It seems you all had yours earlier in the month. Please wish me luck....some of them sound pretty rough....it's frustrating but then I can't make them practice at home. Some students were supposed to play two pieces but due to lack of practice I cut them to only one. I explain that nobody wants to sit in the audience and listen to them "practice". I could have cut them out completely but decided it's better for them to at least play something.

Luckily I have some who sound very nice if nerves don't get the best of them. As for me, I'm already nervous for them. It almost makes me sick inside....lol.

We have a nice variety of music ranging from very beginner to intermediate/late intermediate.

Well, I started typing my program for you all and realized - probably nobody cares...lol..so I'll just leave it as a nice variety. Wish them luck!!! :p

#15895 - 05/24/05 03:35 AM Re: Recital
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
xstitch4me, please tell me some music your students are playing. I am always looking for new material.

#15896 - 05/24/05 05:53 AM Re: Recital
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
hey xstitch, don't feel bad, mine's not til june 12. is yours this coming weekend? i have a variety of beginner to late intermediate. i'll have to have 2 recitals because of the room at my house, so i'm afraid they'll be extremely short. i'm trying to balance them out so i have a bit of everything for each one. tricky business, huh?... hey, do you guys serve snacks etc? do you make or buy? this is the first big one i've done in 7 years, so i'm a bit nervous as the "hostess".

#15897 - 05/24/05 06:03 AM Re: Recital
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Mine is tonight. I always have refreshments but this is the first year I've asked each family to bring 1-2 dz cookies/brownies etc. Then I'm serving sherbet with sprite for the beverage. Easy. And....since you asked, here's a rundown of my recital. By the way, I have it at a church so that's easy but not the a grand piano which I would prefer...anyhooooooo....

Blue Boogie - John Schaum
Indian Dance - James Bastien
Happy New Year - Jane Bastien
Puppy Dog - William Gillock
My Koala Bear - Mark Nevin
Etude in Imitation - Louis Kohler
Ode to Joy - Beethoven (beginner level)
Morning Mood - Edvard Grieg
Saturday Night Boogie - Jane Bastien (always a favorite)
Bravery at Sea - James Bastien
Don't Wanna Leave You Blues - Martha Mier (always love everything of hers)
God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood (student's choice - not mine even though I like the song)
Shared Moments - Will Bailey (www.sonatunes.com excellent website)
Melodic Tune - Louis Kohler
Imagine That - Will Bailey
Fur Elise - Beethoven (intermediate)
100 Years - John Ondrasik (popular song right now)
Habanera - G. Bizet
Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Johannes Brahms (late int)
Legends of the Fall - James Horner (late Int)
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Bach (late int/adv)

I always play a duet with a friend of mine - which saves me from the trauma of playing a solo.....I know, I'm mature. Hope it goes well.

#15898 - 05/24/05 06:19 AM Re: Recital
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
tonight! wow! good luck, your program looks wonderful!

#15899 - 05/24/05 06:43 AM Re: Recital
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Good luck xstitch! My recital was this last Saturday. Everything went really well. I had one student that left her duet piece in her dad's car and he left for work so we had to come up with a last minute piece. Wasn't great- but considering the circumstance... All in all I couldn't have asked for a better recital. One of my little students afterwards told me never to retire! Ha! Ha! I told her I wasn't planning to anytime soon. I thought that was cute!

#15900 - 05/25/05 02:46 AM Re: Recital
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
xstitch, we do care! Post your recital program. It's great to get new ideas, and I love to look at recital programs.
Jennifer, what a wonderful compliment. I wish one of my students would tell me that!
I always give my students the choice of playing something they already know, or getting a new piece, and they ALWAYS want a new piece. Somehow I usually get them a piece that just suits their personality and playing style. This year I nailed it perfectly and my recital was the best in years. --Susan

#15901 - 05/25/05 04:19 AM Re: Recital
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Well, everything went wonderfully! All my students played except one adult student who wanted the night to be for her daughter - they brought her flowers - it was so cute. My own son did very well and as nervous as I get for them - it was great!!! The only hitch was we didn't check the pianos first.....HUGE mistake. Out of 4 available pianos...I had to pick best of the worst...from out of tune to notes that stick and don't come back up - to a broken sustain pedal. The one picked had a small problem with echoing....for most it wasn't noticeable but for more advanced students, I cringed. I'm sure nobody else noticed. All in all it was probably my best recital yet. Of course it's always a huge relief to have it done....but then I can't sleep that night because I replay songs over and over and over....I guess that's another issue...thanks for all of your support and ideas on this site. I love it!!!

#15902 - 05/25/05 05:12 AM Re: Recital
minuet Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: North Carolina
Congratulations on your recital success! I know you are glad it is over. I had mine recently and at first thought it was doomed. The morning of the event I lost my 14-year-old dalmatian to a stroke and was an emotional mess. I had no voice from a cold/flu thing and the printers did not have the programs ready at the time they had promised. And here I thought I was organized. Ha!
Despite the insanity of the hours before the event, it went well. There was a great turn out and parents had encouraging comments about the evening. The students seemed to enjoy themselves and the parents were so proud. It was a great thing to see them enjoy performing. I am relieved, though, that it is over!

By the way, I loved the variety you had in your program.

#15903 - 05/25/05 08:05 AM Re: Recital
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by xstitch4me:
[Of course it's always a huge relief to have it done....but then I can't sleep that night because I replay songs over and over and over....I guess that's another issue...thanks for all of your support and ideas on this site. I love it!!! [/QB]
Oh my goodness! I have the same problem! The night of my recital I didn't get to sleep until 5:00am the next day because my mind kept replaying the recital over and over again! UGH! Then the sun woke me up at 7:30am. 2 1/2 hours of sleep is NOT good! I'm still trying to catch up!

#15904 - 05/25/05 08:42 AM Re: Recital
Elbe Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Great Northwest
I had my recital on the 21st. Only one student didn't show. I thought there would be more since every sport known to mankind had their big event on that very day. This was by far my most successful recital. A few students succumbed to nerves but all-in all they did well. Most students got their recital pieces in March so they had ample time to prepare. I also became pickier about details and nuance. It paid off. This was the program:
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Yankee Doodle— Traditional
Winnie The Pooh--Richard Sherman
Lullaby For A Puppy—Margaret Goldston
Pete, The Repeat Bird--- Nancy Faber
Un Petit Jazz--George Peter Tingley
Star Wars---John Williams
Throwing Pebbles in a Stream— Katherine Beard
BB’s Boogie –Billy Boyd
Colors of the Wind—Alan Menken
Be Our Guest—Alan Menken
My Heart Will Go On—James Horner
Fur Elise—Beethoven
Sparkling Brook-- Margaret Goldston
Prelude –Chopin
Linus and Lucy--Vince Guaraldi
The Sultan’s Caravan—Jane S. Bastien
The Entertainer-Scott Joplin
In The Hall of the Mountain King— Grieg
Waltz of the Bayou — Catherine Rollin
The Eye of the Storm— Robert Vandall
Sonatina in C--Clementi
Allegro Furioso—Skye Garcia
Moonlight Sonata—Beethoven
“A” Train-- Billy Strayhorn
Rusty Rag —Melody Bober
Blue Moon (duet) —Rodgers & Hart
Juba---Nathaniel Dett
Arabesque---Debussy
L’Orage---Burgmuller

#15905 - 05/25/05 09:04 AM Re: Recital
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

I love reading other's programs. With recital over now, I had the piano tuner come to revamp my piano. I was told earlier I had dead strings - on the phone this guy said there's no way with a 22 yr old piano. He'd never seen it in his 30+ years or tuning. Well, he came and sure enough four strings were dead. That's always my luck....when someone tells me - it's not possible...it always is...lol. However, he was wonderful, fixed the strings and my piano sounds brand new. Well worth the bux you have to fork out. It sounds like everyone's having a great recital this year and that makes me happy! I hope everyone doesn't disappear over the summer....I still have students and I'm addicted to this site so hopefully I'm not alone.

#15906 - 05/25/05 09:24 AM Re: Recital
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I'm addicted too!!! Just curious-is anyone taking lessons themselves this summer? I plan to take a month from my former teacher. Not so much repertoire for ME (although I may tackle a couple of things), but to discuss my students and his suggestions. He tells me he has used some materials this year that really appeal to boys. I'm definitely interested!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics