Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#15686 - 03/12/04 01:16 PM Recitals
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Well, here it is recital time again. Mine is the first of May and that is only about 8 weeks away! (7 with a spring break). BTW, how many of you take a break in April? None of the schools in my area take the same week off. Makes it hard! Anyway, just beginning to think about what my recital will be like this year. I like for it to be a little different (in the presentation) each year. Any new ideas from any of you? Thanks.

#15687 - 03/12/04 03:57 PM Re: Recitals
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
I'm scheduled to take off April 5-10 for Spring Break, plus an additional week that I can choose during the year. Right now though, I'm polling my group classes to see if they can actually switch their Spring Break from the 1st week of April to the last week of April (my mom and I are going to Germany for 2 weeks to my cousin's wedding). I don't like doing a switch-a-roo (I think it looks unprofessional), and those classes that can't switch will have a substitute teacher.

#15688 - 03/12/04 05:56 PM Re: Recitals
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
My spring break started today. Thank GAWD. The kids aren't driving me nuts, but the no-shows and parents pretending they don't know I have a no makeup policy ARE. (Is it me, or are parents getting worse than they used to be about defying boundaries, etc.? From some of the postings lately, I wonder....)

My recital date is up in the air. You have to book the halls at the music stores here, and somebody told me it's a two year wait, the horror. We have a contingent contract on a different house and have had this one on the market for about two weeks now. (All I do is vacuum to create fresh vacuum lines, sometimes 3-4 times a day!) and I am quickly reaching the end of my rope!) If we find a buyer and can get a quick closing, my plan is to have the recital at the new place, which has a giant great room I plan to teach in. Leep your fingers crossed for moi - right now my grand is stuffed in a small living room and it is driving me kapitol K Krazy to teach in there.

When the kids get back from spring break, I plan to break out the FJH sheets to get them ready. Almost everyone is a beginner, so it will be one of those years. I'll have to save a more creative theme type recital for next year or the one after!

ali- Have a great time in Germany! Please visit every konditorei you see for me. I'm especially fond of bienenstich. My last trip over I actually kept a pastry diary and wrote a detailed story about every snack we had! \:D

#15689 - 03/12/04 08:14 PM Re: Recitals
Amily Offline
Mainstay Member

Two years????

In the past I've called about 3 months ahead of time and gotten a spot for an afternoon or evening in June. (I go the Schmitt's route).

I've never had a problem, but I know they are always pretty full.

Where are you moving to?

#15690 - 03/12/04 08:50 PM Re: Recitals
Marcia Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
My spring break started today. Thank GAWD. The kids aren't driving me nuts, but the no-shows and parents pretending they don't know I have a no makeup policy ARE. (Is it me, or are parents getting worse than they used to be about defying boundaries, etc.? From some of the postings lately, I wonder....)

Speaking of boundaries: A parent called me about 3 weeks ago and said since I was taking a break March 15-19 and their break from school is the following week (they are going on a trip) would I be able to teach her 3 children during my scheduled break, since I plan to spend the week at home? I was OK while on the phone with her. I think I mumbled something like I would have to get back to her after thinking about it. Immediately after hanging the phone up I got really irritated that she would ask me to do this. The next day I sent an email that I needed to protect my family time that week and would not be teaching, but I would be using the last week of May as a "extra lesson" week for students playing for piano guild. Haven't heard a peep out of her since, at least not about that issue. Last week she came in to try to work out a time for her daughter to take the state theory test on level 2. She just couldn't find any of the possible dates where she could actually inconvenience her schedule enough to take her daughter to the testing location. "We are a busy family, you know, and the family's activities can't revolve around you." I think that is approximately what she said to her daughter. My student, visibly frustrated and in tears, finally said in front of me, "Mom, you really don't care, do you?" Very uncomfortable situation. I love the girl to death. The mom is sometimes OK and sometimes very demanding.

I didn't want to schedule my recital until we knew the piano guild audition dates, since I like to hand out the awards at the recital. This year I have 2 seniors who will be doing a senior recital together in late April/early May. I always have them play their first recital piece in addition to their advanced repertoire at the senior recital and they will join together for 3 duets; C.S Theme and Variations, William Tell Overture, and the hymn "Crown Him With Many Crowns." For the studio recitals I will have no problem finding pieces. About a two-thirds of the studio are playing 4 pieces each for guild and many have contest pieces they will be playing. The past several years I have had the students write a few lines about their recital piece and printed that in the program notes. Makes for a very entertaining recital program.

#15691 - 03/12/04 08:56 PM Re: Recitals
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
By Lisa:
Please visit every konditorei you see for me. I'm especially fond of bienenstich.

I live for afternoon cake and coffee in Germany! \:\) Black Forest Cake, Baumkuchen, Bienenstich, Apfelkuchen, and various fruit tortes. Yum!!

#15692 - 03/12/04 10:52 PM Re: Recitals
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: North Dakota
My recital is June 19th. I scheduled it about a month or so ago. I am having it in our local piano store this year. They have a nice concert hall. Our local MTAC group uses it monthly and for some events. It doesn't seat as many as the retirement center I was using, so I am breaking it up into 2, hour long recitals. All levels mixed. I have no theme. Just choosing solos and special pieces for each student. Each will probably play two....contrasting pieces. This store no longer allows refreshments SO YEA I DON'T HAVE TO DO ALL THAT! However I will hand out an ice cream certificate to each and some kind of music pin, like you can purchase through Musis Stand. Probably little pianos for all. Knowing I won't be doing the normal refreshment thing has taken some stress out of it for me. The students will probably be horrified but, oh well.
Back to cleaning out my closet and getting rid of clothes I never wear or that don't fit well. Bought a few new ones today! It was a chore. I am no shopper.
P.S. My Spring break is April 5-9, plus both weekends. My birthday is the 5th so I have it off! I like that!

[ 03-12-2004: Message edited by: NancyK ]

#15693 - 03/12/04 11:30 PM Re: Recitals
KeyboardKandyce Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Ca
Nancy- I have my recitals at the same concert hall...it is very nice and the students love to perform on the "big pianos" \:\)
I usually have a decorating theme for the recitals, but find it difficult to get the students to go along with it. They always get to choose their songs. Last summer, we had a "summertime/beach" theme. The kids could wear Hawaiian (sp?) shirts and sundresses. This seemed to make them more relaxed. Actually, last year, some of them did play songs that went with the summertime theme. I always give them a gift and last year's gift was a beach pail filled with candy and a few sand toys. Boy was that a fiasco! I over planned for them and still have beach pails and toys here, there and everywhere!
Thank goodness this year, they aren't allowing refreshments. I always had fun making plates of cookies and treats up for the recitals. (Last year we had a yummy melon salad for the beach recital.) It does get rather costly though and is one more thing added to the list.

#15694 - 03/13/04 08:00 PM Re: Recitals
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: North Dakota
It's a nice concert hall! Don't you think?
Your themes sound fun, but more work I guess. Maybe I get too lazy or am just not creative that way.
A teacher I know, who lives in Coalinga, has an outside recital in their local park. I think he does it each year. They all sit around in lawn chairs (bring their own),dress casual and have a low key recital. It sounded very nice when he descibed it to me last year. I think they hauled a piano out there. It's so hot here at recital time that sitting in the shade of trees, in shorts with lawn chairs sounds pretty relaxing. It's nice to play outside. I used to play on the patio of a little local restaurant. People who sat outside to eat, listened to the music. I played during the lunch hours all through the spring and summer. It was great! I used a keyboard for that.
KeyboardKandyce...I have probably seen you at local workshops and whatnot...huh?

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: NancyK ]

#15695 - 03/14/04 11:51 AM Re: Recitals
queenofpiano Offline

Loc: USA-Southeastern region
I am doing a theme recital in memory of Margaret Goldston this year.
Each student will either perform a solo or ensemble selection from her series.
They can also perform another piece of their choosing.
It is neither informal or formal as in past years.
This year I do not plan to have a candlelight recital with roses give to mom's as in the past. The parents seems to really enjoy it but the students (some of them) seem to get very nervous over it.
I am just asking students to wear anything but bluejeans this year (and bathing suits and flip flops) since we live in a tourist area.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics