Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#15008 - 06/09/01 03:09 PM Any other message board
tomuch2do Offline

Loc: WI
I am looking for other message board for piano teachers.

While this one is great, it is heavily into PA (which of course it should be because it's sponsored by them) and I'm looking for a little more input from teachers who are willing to use other methods.

Does anyone know of any other message boards. I've used the Brent Hugh one, but since it moved, not many post on it.

#15009 - 06/09/01 03:19 PM Re: Any other message board
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I know there are other message boards out there, although I don't have any of the addresses handy. You might check in the archives under "Links to other Helpful Sites."

I think there's such a diverse group of teachers at this site that there is bound to be some who use the method(s) you use. And even if many of us currently use Piano Adventures for the bulk of our core material, many of us have a wealth of experience teaching from other methods in prior years. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I know John Schaum inside and out!

So I suggest giving this site a try. You'll be surprised at how knowledgable the folks here are.

#15010 - 06/09/01 03:31 PM Re: Any other message board
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I know of:
http://www.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/piano-teachers
http://www.dunhammusic.com/forumhome.htm

PS - I use Hal Leonard (almost) exclusively.
Mum's the word!

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: John Bisceglia ]

#15011 - 06/09/01 03:39 PM Re: Any other message board
John Offline
Star Member

(with a nod to Master Lisa)

Go to
http://www.google.com

and search for 'Piano teacher', Piano teacher forum' , etc... or similar phrases; I found these by doing the same thing.

#15012 - 06/09/01 08:21 PM Re: Any other message board
tomuch2do Offline

Loc: WI
I know there's tons to learn from the people here and I do ready many of the posts. Many of the topics discussed on this board don't have anything to do with the PA books and I read all of those with interest.

Thanks for the responses and if anyone else knows of more boards please let me know.

As far as being ashamed for knowing Schaum, it's how I started to play at 3 and I'm proud that's how I learned, it's still one of the best selling method books around so I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of!

#15013 - 06/09/01 08:38 PM Re: Any other message board
Eric Offline
Star Member

I was being facetious. Everyone on this board knows I HAVE no shame! ;\)

What's amusing is the extent to which I know Schaum. All my friends know, for example, that if it's very cold when stepping outside, I sometimes sing

"Br-rr-rr-rr-rr It's Cold,
Br-rr-rr-rr-rr It's Cold,
Br-rr-rr-rr-rr, Brr-rr-rr-rr-rr, Br-rr-rr-rr-rr, It's Cold!!"

I have the entire series memorized including the lyrics, which I find to be the most charming part of the method. From the politically incorrect...

"Wun Long Pan, the famous Chinese Detective"

To the bizarre...

"When you touch a hot steam iron
You let go as quickly as you can.
'Cause you'd surely burn your fingers,
And they'd be as brown as a pecan."

That pecan line always makes me laugh. I grew up in Schaum just like you did, and so many fellow musicians who are good readers remember studying out of that course; it's clearly gotten good results over the years.

I still use pieces like the Tarantella, Dangerous Journey, Norwegian Concerto, and Riding on a Mule as solos.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

#15014 - 06/09/01 08:42 PM Re: Any other message board
Eric Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Bisceglia:
PS - I use Hal Leonard (almost) exclusively. Mum's the word!

John, I really like the little I know of Hal Leonard. I am not that well-acquainted with the whole series, but look forward to checking it out. Publishing-wise, is it pre-PA or post-PA? What I've seen seems very similar in terms of using a comprehensive combined approach pedagogically.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

#15015 - 06/09/01 08:58 PM Re: Any other message board
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
I had both Schaum and John Thompson when I was young and I think they had alot to offer. I still use Schaum in some cases. I also use the higher levels of John Thompson but it depends on the student. I think both of them are harder than PA but some of the students today have to have something simple to get started. I like Hal Leonard but there seem to be some gaps in the beginning level. One reason I tend to stay with Faber is because it is so easily obtained through the mail and I live so far from a good music store. Right now the music stores I do go to say that Faber is out in front so they must be doing something right. I switch around so I don't get stale and too comfortable in teaching the same thing to everyone.

If anyone has suggestions about good mail order for music, please tell me. I know--it's in the Archieves but you know how I feel about the Archieves. It's lonely there ;\) \:D

tomuch2do, my daughter lives in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Love your state.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: JVee ]

#15016 - 06/09/01 09:07 PM Re: Any other message board
John Offline
Star Member

I gotta plug my ol' job in MI. The sheet music manager is as sweet as you'll ever find; she also knows both Nancy & Randall, and we really pushed their method when it first came out (local heros!).

Call 1-800-968-5464, or place orders at:

sales@kingskeyboard.com

Their site is:
http://www.kingskeyboard.com

10% off for teachers, and no tax.

#15017 - 06/09/01 09:41 PM Re: Any other message board
John Offline
Star Member

For some options I'd recommend supplementing Faber with HL Solos books, if you want music ONLY w/o the extra text of a lesson book.

Book 1 is nice is you want to postpone using the 5th finger until students have developed it well with harmonic 5ths, clusters, etc.
Also, the Solos Book 1 has a nice improv section in a piece, with some great "boy" pieces!

Here are the basic things to note when combining:

Book 1 - quarter & half rest introduced early, 2nds/3rds only, Bass F-Treble G, p through f.

Book 2 - still quarters, 2nds-5ths, Bass C-Treble D, accidentals, pp through ff, cres/decres., staccato/legato.

Book 3 - Eighths/dotted eighth, 6ths, Low G-High C, basic 5-finger patterns, chords & chord symbols.

Book 4 - Eighth rest & triplet, melodic 7ths & octaves, Primary triads, I-IV-I-V7-I, major scale.

Book 5 - 16ths, pieces like Rebikov's The Bear, Burgmuller's Innocence & Arabesque, Maykapar's Scherzino.

I gotta mention that I only use the Lesson & Solo books now with their CD's; sometimes their Workbooks, but only for young children. I just LIKE the music, and the CD's are EXCELLENT. With 4 different composer's, there's a variety I enjoy. The Piano Practice Games books offer some neat ideas, but (as you know Eric!) I'm creating ALL of my own materials in ear training/solfege, improv, composition, theory, etc. I can say that their Technique books were a disappointment. Some GREAT advice for the student on how to use the body, but the music is much weaker than the Lesson & Solo books.

They've recently changed their price; now you get the Lesson book WITH the CD for $7.95. YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT ANYWHERE!

To balance this on a Faber site, I do use their Artistry books now, finding them to be the best on the market in music and presentation (Esp. levels 2B on up!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics