Topic Options
#14894 - 10/25/04 10:20 AM Music References
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Just found and got a copy of this over the weekend at Barnes and Nobles and wanted to share-
"the Encyclopedia of Music" (published by Barnes and Noble)
It has the history/picture of every known instrument, the musical periods and the composers in them with nice pictures and biographies to go with it.

It will be a good resource for planning my compser study program for spring as well as to add some interest bits on different instruments for my web site as well as newsletters for students.

[ 10-25-2004: Message edited by: PFVTeach ]

#14895 - 10/25/04 08:26 PM Re: Music References
Elbe Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Great Northwest
It sounds like you've found a good resource book. I found an interesting resource the other day. Some piano technician put up a list of his best "piano manufacturers of the golden age" picks. He deals mostly with grands but has some interesting things to say about the uprights too. Check it out at this, the mother of all URLs. http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000029;p=0

#14896 - 11/04/04 11:39 AM Re: Music References
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Here are a couple of good sites that I found that have FREE sheet music for printing.

This first one is good through about level 2 or 3 and also has a listening room for their music. www.pitt.edu/~deben/freebies.html

This second one is good for more advanced students that you may have in the upper intermediate level and higher. This also has WHOLE VOLUMES by composer free for printing that are really good. I have used many of these with students for competitions etc.. in the past and they do nicely.
The site is (I believe) to be at: www.free-scores.com/frame-uk.php

Thought I'd pass these on since they are great resources for teachers to know about and to keep in their hat so to speak.

#14897 - 11/08/04 10:00 AM Re: Music References
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

This is a GREAT interactive website appropriate for all levels of playing.
It is www.musictheory.net

You can even customize the skills on the site with a VERY simple click on menu for students at any level or skill. My students use this about once a month at lessons for theory related review and they LOVE it.

#14898 - 11/10/04 12:56 PM Re: Music References
clarinetlady Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Toronto,ON
PFVTeach: Thank-you for such a great music theory site! Definitely will add to my recommended music site list!

Meri

#14899 - 11/15/04 07:54 PM Re: Music References
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

You're welcome.
As I find good sites that are useable I'll try to share more here. I love free stuff and occassionally with all the junk out there a good one pops up now and then :0)
I love the theory site because I can adapt it to ANY instrument - piano, flute or violin, etc.. that I teach and the skills can carry over to any student level.

#14900 - 11/15/04 09:56 PM Re: Music References
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
I would like to second the Thank-you for the theory site. I just recommended the KEY Signature Activity for a student this week.--I even had fun myself checking how fast i could do my dim/aug chord recognition and still get 100%. I'm a little slow at sight reading (am at regular books too, I have this need to savor every word, not such a beneficial quality reading music though), so I kind of used it as flashcards for myself. Anyway, Thanks, Christine

#14901 - 11/16/04 06:45 PM Re: Music References
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I just found a GREAT site for ear training for students and the best part is--it's FREE!! \:D It's http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer and you can choose all kinds of levels, from beginner (unison/4th/5th/octave) to chords and cadences to testing your pitch recognition(oh no, not that again! :rolleyes: ). I think it looks fantastic and will be using it with my students next week!

#14902 - 11/18/04 08:20 AM Re: Music References
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Gail I love it! My flute and violin students will definitely be using this for intonation and pitch drills at lessons.

Thanks for the info!

#14903 - 11/19/04 10:08 AM Re: Music References
clarinetlady Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Toronto,ON
Books:

The Art of Practicing/ Madeline Bruser

A Parent's Guide to Sucessfull Piano Lessons/Ruth Kazdan. This is on my "parent music reading" list, covers most of the really important issues, such as why it is very important to use a real piano from the very start of lessons, and practicing. Also good for those teachers who don't like the idea of developing a policy, yet don't want to be treated like a doormat.

Internet:

http://www.practicespot.com
www.jackmartindale.com (especially have your student's parent's read the "Advice for Music Parents", and the "Advice to Music Students")
http://www.pianoworld.com (Great site, word searches on piano composers and famous pianists, piano facts, a screensaver of unusual pianos, an interactive quiz about the piano, vote for your favourite composer, and so much more!)

CD ROMS:

Music Ace/Music Ace 2. Music Theory with game-like tests in learning things such as note identification.

Meri

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics