Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#14475 - 11/14/03 11:00 AM Re: Playing for our students
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
This thread has been around the world and back. Interesting stuff.
As to Catholic hymns, I have been under the impression that there is no Catholic hymnal for congregational singing. The words of the hymns are printed in the service leaflet. Is this true? I have many Catholic students, and they have to play out of a hymnal for one of our festivals. I usually use an Episcopalian hymnal and ask them to pick out one they like. I would love a list of well known Catholic hymns.
FJH has an Early Elementary book of Catholic hymns that my beginning Catholic students love. --Susan

#14476 - 11/14/03 11:24 AM Re: Playing for our students
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
If by Catholic you are referring to Roman Catholics, there are indeed hymnals. Not that they are universally used or anything, ironic since they call themselves the Universal church, and if they did no one would sing anyway because of the way they have those cantors Robert Gouleting away up there. (IMO miking a cantor or song leader is the same as giving a congregation permission to sit there and not sing! :rolleyes: ) PLUS those Daggone missalettes (which is the bulletin-like thing you were referring to) that were an offshoot of Vatican II ruined everything. For a fascinating and hilarious education on the situation I highly recommend reading Why Catholics Don't(Can't? - not sure which word it is) Sing. The part about Here I Am Lord is Depends-inducing It's a hoot and would probably bring joy to a proper 'Piscopalian's heart. \:D

But I digress: The source for Roman Catholic schtuff is GIA publications. All of the RC hymnals I've ever used had the standard high protestant stuff in 'em - nothing like The Old Rugged Cross or Nazareney/Baptistey stuff like that, though, cuz the theology is way off.) I always think of the plainsong hymns as a good starting point. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel comes to mind (VENI EMMANUEL). ALso, STABAT MATER, stuff like that.

That said, the average RC walking down the street wouldn't recognize too many of 'em. I'm partial to the Jesuit stuff that came out in the late 60's/70's \:o but a lot of 'em have never been exposed to it either - depends on the music quality of the individual parish which is more than likely underbudgetted and staffed as a rule.

#14477 - 11/14/03 11:51 AM Re: Playing for our students
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
I have a feeling the RC church has changed quite a bit since some of you have been around. We sing "hymns" - along the line of "Here I Am Lord" which is one of my favorites BTW. Haven't read the book, Lisa, but I will. And the cantor doesn't lead the hymn-singing. It's an intentional Protestant steal to keep the congregation happy. And things like Sweet Hour of Prayer are in the hymnal, but rarely used. I need to be sure my students can play the required stuff (the Gloria, Lord's Prayer, the great Amen, etc.), and also play the most popular hymns - Here I Am Lord, On Eagle's Wings, Lord of the Rings (is that the right name?), etc. But I'd like to use decent materials, geared towards an elementary/intermediate student. BTW, the Faber primer book is ok, but my students don't recognize even one piece from it. Not sure where they pulled those pieces from. Guess this should have been a new thread, huh? Thanks for suggestions - they are most welcome.

#14478 - 11/14/03 12:00 PM Re: Playing for our students
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
My church in FL once had a song leader who had the congregation sing "He Lives" every single Sunday. We all got sick & tired of it &, needless to say, he soon lost his position as song leader.

But hey, at least I attended a church with a congregation that sang! Lisa's comments about the Roman Catholics made me think about the Methodist church I attended in TX. The congregation in that church didn't sing, either. Well, I take that back. I sang, loud & strong, from the back row. (When you have small children, that's where you sit, ya know). ;\) Several people made comments to me about how well I sing, & about how I should be in the choir. I kept thinking to myself, "Do I have to be a choir member to be permitted to sing?" ROFLMREO! \:D

I recognize all the hymns in the Faber books.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

#14479 - 11/14/03 12:26 PM Re: Playing for our students
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Lilla, Lisa, where can I get a R Catholic hymnal? I've checked the Catholic book store here. It's more of a gift shop.
and Lilla, you're right, the kids don't know the hymns in the FJH book, but their parents seem too, and they work on them together. Also the arrangement duets are nice. And the kids really like to play them. Plus, their parents are comfortable with the book. I do try to please.
--Susan

#14480 - 11/14/03 12:55 PM Re: Playing for our students
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Susan, try www.giamusic.com They also have a tollfree number and used to be fab about answering questions. The main guy/owner will know if there's anything out there like you're looking for, whether they publish it or not.

Lilla, interesting comments, since every RC service I've ever played for (multi-states even!) has had a cantor leading the non-singing. I wonder if it's different since you're in Chicagoland and that's a little bit more uptown. You probably won't like what he has to say about Here I AM cuz it's on his Top 10 Worst RC hymn list.. I can't listen to it now without hearing the Brady Bunch song! \:D Aside: Lutheran ministers love to belt that one out at their Pastard meetings. My theory is they like the part where they finally get to be God: "I the Lord...." :rolleyes: \:D It sounds like you like the same stuff I do. I especially love some of Marty Haugen's newer things and like to play the Cotter arrangements. Strangely, none of my RC neighbors in Omaha knew any of 'em and O is predominately RC! It's a Wicked Shame that they don't too. \:\(

#14481 - 11/14/03 01:48 PM Re: Playing for our students
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Ok. Now I"m picking on Jala. I am Roman Catholic now, but was brought up Methodist. The Methodist church is reknowned for hymn singing! That's why I know How Great Thou Art, In The Garden, Sweet Hour of Prayer by heart. But then, maybe you're referring to those offshoot Methodist churches. You know, not The 1st United Methodist Church of (insert city name), but rather the Friendship Methodist Church, etc. I don't know what they do in those churches but I've heard some strange stories about rolling in the aisles, etc. LOL. Not to offend anyone. We all have our strange ways when it comes to churches. It's very personal, no?

#14482 - 11/14/03 04:22 PM Re: Playing for our students
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

I attended a very large United Methodist church in TX that averaged over 1,000 people every Sunday morning (2 morning services to accommodate the # of people in attendance), yet I was practically singing the hymns solo! The choir sang, but not the congregation. Go figure. Kinda weird if you ask me. It's probably a Lubbock thang, not a Methodist thang. Lubbock's not exactly the most musical place in the world, ya know. :rolleyes:

I was raised Nazarene, but my family later switched to Assemblies of God, which had very musical Sunday services to say the least. I now consider myself non-denominational, but I tend to prefer the more subdued Nazarene style of worship. I don't mind the hand clapping or the loud singing in the A/G, but don't particularly care to join in when they dance. But that's just me; I never have been much of a dancer. I only dance when a problem student or parent terminates piano lessons, LOL! \:D

#14483 - 11/14/03 04:33 PM Re: Playing for our students
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
I was raised Nazarene, but my family later switched to Assemblies of God, which had very musical Sunday services to say the least

I can vouch for that! Being raised as "nothing" until the age of 13, then a year-long stint as a Presbyterian, then another year-long stint in the Methodist church, the Assembly of God church was COMPLETELY different from anything I'd every experienced (musically and otherwise).

And A/G churches in Texas are again completely different than those in California.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited by: alidoremi ]

#14484 - 11/14/03 04:39 PM Re: Playing for our students
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alidoremi:
And A/G churches in Texas are again completely different than those in California.

Yep. That's because each A/G church is independently governed. Each church believes in 7 basic tenets of faith, but that's the only thing A/G churches have in common with each other. So when you attend an A/G church, the service can range from very traditional or very eccentric, depending on how the church elders want the services to be conducted.

BTW, no one in the A/G church I belonged to ever stomped their foot or rolled in the aisles. Thought I'd set the record straight on that, lest you think of me as a "holy roller." Our church was musical, but never went to extremes. There were very few times that anyone danced, for that matter. Ninety-nine percent of the time we just sang & clapped our hands.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums