Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#14445 - 11/06/03 10:03 AM Playing for our students
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
The other day I had a cancellation and was at the piano practicing some things when my next student arrived. He went wow! I like your playing. It ocurred to me that I never play for my students except to show them a passage, etc. that they may have trouble with. Even at recitals I don't because I don't want to take anything away from the students. I am thinking it would be good for me to play now and then-especially at holiday times. Not to show off any expertise but to hopefully give them incentive. Thoughts? Do you play much for your students?

#14446 - 11/06/03 10:35 AM Re: Playing for our students
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
If it's time for a student's lesson, and I'm not busy with another student, I try to always be at the piano playing when they walk in. Even if it's a just a review of their lesson materials.

#14447 - 11/06/03 11:03 AM Re: Playing for our students
Ann Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Ca
I try to be playing too when my students arrive. I don't play at formal recitals - I agree that is the Students' day.

I'm trying something new this weekend - a "Night of Musical Gems" - sort of an Open Performance night. My students, 2 of my pianist friends, a guitarist, and I will each perform our favorite pieces.

My students always ask me to play at Recitals & I feel bad declining all the time. But this will be less formal & if it works out well I'll do it every year in addition to formal Recitals.

My students also like it when I "practice perform" for them if we have time after a lesson; once in a while I will just do part of a piece to check my memory or whatever.

When my teacher performs anything at all for me, I LOVE it. It's inspiring.

#14448 - 11/06/03 11:12 AM Re: Playing for our students
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
My husband's piano teacher always used to perform at his recitals. He says the parents and students loved it and looked forward to it each year. Why not try it and see how it goes unless you have a lot of students and your recital is already longer than 40 min. I would pick a piece that is not too long and is an old standard in piano literature. That way, you could talk a little about it at the lesson and the students will learn a little music history!

#14449 - 11/07/03 12:20 AM Re: Playing for our students
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

I've learned to avoid being near the piano when a student comes in. I found out I'm a bit intimidating when I play.

#14450 - 11/07/03 10:01 AM Re: Playing for our students
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
You can solve that problem easily ;\) . Just pull out the Level 1 (or higher but not too higher) performance pieces and sheet music. That should keep you under control while keeping the materials fresh in your mind. Or how about the new releases materials? \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano lady:
I've learned to avoid being near the piano when a student comes in. I found out I'm a bit intimidating when I play.

#14451 - 11/09/03 06:24 PM Re: Playing for our students
rainy Offline

Loc: Seattle
I just had a recital last week. I love to play for family and friends and to do weddings, but I don't enjoy playing at the recitals. Being the teacher, I feel like any mistake is a neon sign that beams, "What is she doing teaching your children?" Anyway, after all the students had performed, (and beautifully, I might add) I told the audience that I had just read a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that said one should never ask of another what they aren't willing to do themselves. I said I would like to do a solo for them and proceeded to play. Amazingly, it went great and now I'm glad I did it. My two cents says, Go for it.

#14452 - 11/09/03 06:26 PM Re: Playing for our students
rainy Offline

Loc: Seattle
I just had a recital last week. I love to play for family and friends and to do weddings, but I don't enjoy playing at the recitals. Being the teacher, I feel like any mistake is a neon sign that beams, "What is she doing teaching your children?" Anyway, after all the students had performed, (and beautifully, I might add) I told the audience that I had just read a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that said one should never ask of another what they aren't willing to do themselves. I said I would like to do a solo for them and proceeded to play. Amazingly, it went great and now I'm glad I did it. My two cents says, Go for it.

#14453 - 11/10/03 08:03 PM Re: Playing for our students
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
I play at my student recitals all the time. My older students ask what I'll be playing next, and the younger ones seem to love it. "Your song was long," they'll say in amazement! One little girl heard me play the first movement of Beethoven's Appassionata and told me afterwards how much she loved the "scary" part!!! You know, where it gets really quiet then comes back in with a bang. Later, she was there when I played it again, and she got up out of her seat and sat on the floor right next to the piano bench just waiting for her favorite part. She squealed and jumped with excitement when it arrived. I tell you, there's nothing like playing for an appreciative audience! \:D I think most people don't hear much classical music, and they need every opportunity they can get to hear live performances. Sometimes I play something an advanced student played last year, or will play later this year or next. Once I sprained my right wrist and so I played Scriabin's Prelude for the Left Hand, using the music. People thought it was cool! No one seems to mind much if I make a mistake. One mom said to me after such an incident that her daughter was relieved to find she was not the only person to make a mistake. I try not to make a mistake, obviously, and I usually pick shorter, easier pieces than the Appassionata. Playing at the recitals keeps me practicing, and gives me and my students a sense of camaraderie with each other. Mostly I do it because, in spite of stage fright, I really do love to play the piano.

#14454 - 11/10/03 08:37 PM Re: Playing for our students
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: North Dakota
unreal....I very much relate to you on this. And what a neat story about that little girl being so excited about the music!
I play at most every recital, and any other opportunity I can get. One reason is I don't ask my students to do anything I am unwilling to do. I also get some stage fright but I do it anyway. I often am playing when a student arrives and they and their parents are always happy to hear "real music" they call it. It may not even be a difficult piece but they like to hear it and see the example of me playing / practicing. At recitals my students and parents have come to expect that I will play and they look forward to it. BUT BELIEVE ME I have made some mistakes. I don't tackle real difficult pieces for such things however because I want to be comfortable. I just don't make a big deal out of it at all. I also have a duet partner that I regulary practice with and we are always preparing pieces for our next opportunity and we use our recitals as an opportunity. We have a BLAST and the audience always loves a duet. I do enjoy playing but do fight fear and the pressure of parents hearing me but I WANT to play and I want to be an example for my students AND it gives me many stories to share of overcoming difficulties in performance! If I don't play I think my students would feel I "copped out". Anyway...I think it is great for teachers to play.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics