Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14334 - 12/13/01 10:14 AM Re: Motivation through Money
PJ Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Eric, you totally misinterpreted what I said, but that's nothing new. I wasn't talking about Nazis and stuff. I was just saying that everything that happens in our life is the effect of some cause, which lies in our actions, beliefs and intentions.

Jalapeņo, I just wrote in another thread that you distrust people and I might be totally wrong about that. But instead of anticipating the worst in people, and assuming that something as shallow as a money rebate would motivate them, why not try assuming the BEST in people? What you assume about the world is what the world will manifest. If you give all your energy to these ideas that parents are irresponsible, you will be encountering them in your life. If you plan for the worst, you'll GET the worst! Give yourself a time-out and choose to change your view of the Universe. If you see it as an essentially GOOD place, you will have awesome experiences!

#14335 - 12/13/01 10:58 AM Re: Motivation through Money
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
PJ (or puppeteer in charge ;\) ):

Believe it or not we agree, well, sort of. If you check out this old thread Arrrggh you'll see that I was confronting Jalapeno on similar grounds. All I was saying then was that a lot of the negativity our good friend Jala encounters might be initiated by her beliefs/worldview, which seems to be what you're saying. Difference is, of course, that I attribute such things to psychological forces rather than mystical "Universe" powers. I think a lot of bad stuff just happens and it's not due to any belief or action on the part of the victim. But sometimes I think people subconsciously create circumstances that reinforce their view of the world. So, I guess in some ways I'm as Looney as you are!

Back to the topic of this thread, I maintain that if you offer bargains, you will attract people who are interested in bargains. Instead, offer quality, and you'll attract a more desirable clientele!

#14336 - 12/13/01 12:03 PM Re: Motivation through Money
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I'm sure my Honda's not running properly because of a negative viewpoint on my part, too. :rolleyes: Come on, people! Give it a rest.

I'll buy Eric's notion that if you offer a bargain, you'll most likely attract people who are looking for a bargain. But since I didn't have problems like this until opening up a piano studio here in Lubbock, I think that either the teaching environment here is not very good, or I haven't yet learned how to effectively work with the people here. Either way, it's not because I don't initially trust people. On the contrary, I think that a lot of stuff happens because I start out assuming that other people do business the way I do (I always pay my bills ASAP, give as much advance notice as possible when I'm forced to cancel an appointment, always arrive a little early or on time for appointments, etc.). Then when people don't do these things, I'm majorly disappointed, especially when it appears to happen with almost all the people that enroll their children for lessons, not just a small percentage of people.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to expect less & charge more, rather than expect more & charge less.

#14337 - 12/13/01 04:58 PM Re: Motivation through Money
MeLisa Offline

Hi, From a student (and parent) point of view, if money is non issue, I am willing to pay more as long as I know I am getting what I paid for.

On the otherhand if I am not wealthy, I dont think I would choose a cheaper teacher unless she offers equal or better guidance.

But it all really boils down to the students motives for taking lessons.. If my teacher understand my motives, she should know how to motivate me, if she chooses to.. sometimes she allow space for me to find my own motivation, which is also fine..

MeLisa
PS:
- to me quality lessons is of utmost importance, I learned that the hard way.. the lost of tuition fees is nothing compared to lost of precious time ..

- if the parent does not appreciate your quality lessons, the lost is theirs not yours

- For me personally, this is what its all about : Why we do all this\"

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: MeLisa ]

#14338 - 12/13/01 07:48 PM Re: Motivation through Money
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Thanks for your comments, MeLisa. I've always wondered if parents know or realize what they're getting (or supposed to get) for the money they're paying or not. While I enjoyed taking piano lessons & never would have considered going to any teacher other than the one I was taking lessons from, I can tell you that I didn't fully know whether I was going to a top-notch teacher or not, & certainly didn't appreciate her as much as I should have, until I got into my teens & started performing frequently in public. As I met other people who took piano lessons for years & compared their knowledge & performance skills to mine, I became increasingly aware of how well she trained me. I don't think I am or ever was a musical prodigy. I remember getting discouraged when my sister could learn & progress very fast & play quite well, while I struggled & struggled. But in the end, with my teacher's patience & good instruction, I learned to play the piano. My sister, on the other hand, took lessons from a different teacher--one that allowed her to rely too much on her ear & progress through the levels too fast (in 2 years, from beginning level to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata & similar classical repertoire). Now my sister can barely read music & learn on her own (unless she hears a song first); she doesn't even own a piano anymore. And you all know what I'm doing these days. I give my teacher a lot of credit. Guess what? My teacher was an NCTM, but was charging us less than any other teacher we knew. But unlike some people, my parents & I appreciated what she was doing for me (maybe because we didn't have that much money & things didn't come easily for us like they do for more affluent families). This is just pure conjecture, of course, but I wonder how many people really appreciate things as much as they should. Easy come, easy go. It seems to be the way most people think.

I've edited this post to correct a dee doubly dumb mistake. \:o I really shouldn't be posting at this time of night, 'cuz I'm not a night owl. I'm just waiting for a load of laundry to dry so I can fold the clothes & go to bed. Now you folks can see why I don't teach piano at night. Yikes!

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#14339 - 12/13/01 08:09 PM Re: Motivation through Money
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeņo:
...from beginning level to Mozart's Moonlight Sonata...

Is that one as good as Beethoven's?

#14340 - 12/13/01 08:28 PM Re: Motivation through Money
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA

#14341 - 12/13/01 08:50 PM Re: Motivation through Money
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Is that one as good as Beethoven's?

ROFLMREO! I can't believe I did that! \:o I must be sleepier than I thought (but I'm not too sleepy to laugh at myself). I attended Piano Kid's Honor Choir Christmas Performance tonight [which was great, btw :)] but they made us sit through a PTA meeting & a violin ensemble [they played 3 normally peppy Christmas tunes--Jolly Old St. Nicholas, Jingle Bells & one other that I'm too tired right now to recall--all at the same adagio tempo that put everyone to sleep. As I sat there with the little one in my lap, waiting for what seemed like an eternity for them to get around to letting the choir perform, I could only sit there & mentally rewrite the lyrics ("Sleepy Old St. Nicholas," "Dragging Through the Snow," etc.) :rolleyes: Yawn...

BTW, they performed a musical called "The 12 Entire Days of Christmas." Has anyone heard it? It was really cute, especially the rap song about faxing a letter to Santa. They presented a variety of musical styles, which was nice 'cuz it kept us all alert (especially after the PTA meeting & the violins). \:\)

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums