Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14278 - 07/10/01 09:23 AM Re: from work to play
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Janice

My grandchildren want to come play at your house! All of you are so creative with making the stepping stones and the soap!
I tried to make a wreath ONCE - After about 30 minutes, I gathered up everything, threw it in the trash and went shopping for one.
Why am I so impatient with crafts? Must be my (not fun) rational temperament or something. \:\(

#14279 - 07/10/01 01:24 PM Re: from work to play
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivace:
Janice

My grandchildren want to come play at your house! All of you are so creative with making the stepping stones and the soap!
I tried to make a wreath ONCE - After about 30 minutes, I gathered up everything, threw it in the trash and went shopping for one.
Why am I so impatient with crafts? Must be my (not fun) rational temperament or something. \:\(

You sound just like me! I purchased silk flowers, along with a book of instructions, so that I could make my own arrangements for my wedding. Well, I cut the stems the correct length & followed the instructions to the letter (or at least I thought I did!), but my arrangements looked like ****. I was about to throw the whole mess in the trash when my dear, sweet husband walked in the room, took one look at the pictures in the book, & said, "I can do that!" I told him to go ahead, 'cuz I was obviously not getting anywhere. :rolleyes: In a matter of minutes (no lie, folks! minutes!), he had finished all the arrangements, & they looked exactly like the illustrations in the book! The only thing I could figure is that since he's so good at math, perhaps he has an eye for symmetry or something. Beats me how he did it so fast & so well. I felt a little bit incompetent, to say the least. I decided that floral arranging is not my forte. ;\)

The reason I think I can make soap is because it's very much like baking, which I can already do very well. Plus I don't have to go out & buy a bunch of equipment & supplies that I'll be stuck with if my projects don't turn out right. ;\)

#14280 - 07/10/01 01:53 PM Re: from work to play
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
You're probably right because I don't mind spending hours repairing my toilet or replacing the belt on my clothes dryer. Maybe I thought the wreath wasn't important enough - who knows?
I'm just happy to have creative people around to make things beautiful \:\)

#14281 - 07/10/01 03:54 PM Re: from work to play
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Well, I can tell you right out front that a wreath would not be important enough to me to slave over. Very few craft projects are, IMO. I'd rather just go to the store & buy something ready-made. I may end up getting a wreath as a present anyway. My sister in CA is thinking about doing some sort of wreath that you make with fabric (sewing). She loves to sew, so for her it sounds like the perfect craft. I, on the other hand, know how to sew (my mom was a prof. seamstress & taught all of us girls how to sew) but just hate to do it. My mother also loves to work in the garden, & I have a sister who has followed in her footsteps with that. Me? I'm the "impractical" one who spends so much time playing the piano, which of course in my family is not considered to be all that useful--until someone in the family decides to get married & my services are needed! ;\)

#14282 - 07/10/01 08:27 PM Re: from work to play
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Don't be too impressed with me. I do many things by accident and I am not a "craft" person anymore. I do like the outdoor things but again, many times it is just an accident they turn out. I'm not much for cutsy (?) things from craft fairs anymore. I have collected too much and need to get rid of things. I am very intrigued by pottery making and sculpturing but the one thing I tried make was a rabbit that turned out looking like a strange dog.
By the way, my little rabbit Chelsea is sick and I have been taking her to the vet. I don't know how it is going to turn out but she's in a very bad mood. It is so hot here. I wouldn't want to be a rabbit. Sorry, off subject.

#14283 - 07/10/01 09:19 PM Re: from work to play
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Janice,

I hope Chelsea recovers quickly. Imagine how hot she must get under all that bunny fur. I can barely survive in temperatures above 72 degrees and I only have skin.

Although I have quite a collection of music and a few wonderful decorative accessories, I've never wanted many "craftsy" or "knicky-knacky" things. My mother and favorite sister started buying me lots of little "dust-catchers" not long after I first left home. I, perhaps not in my most sweet and demure way, told them I really didn't like that sort of stuff. \:o Of course, later if I ever mentioned liking anything remotely along those lines, I had to hear "But I thought you didn't like that stuff." What I liked and what they selected for me on their own were vastly different, but they just didn't seem to understand.

Two of my sisters sometimes go to crafts fairs and try to sell some of their handiwork. These events sound like pure torture to me, but they really seem to enjoy making all sorts of little crafts and milling around with the customers and often buy more than they sell. I guess belonging to such a craftsy family, it took a while for me to realize how much I really dislike doing this sort of thing. I used to make special toys for newborn babies of friends and family and some of them were greatly appreciated and rather cute if I do say so myself. One favorite was a tiny little crocheted banana made with nothing other than yellow yarn so it was easily washable. I think my best effort was a small baby bed pillow with an extremely soft cotton cover on which I machine embroidered various classical composers names. My pianist friend love it and after that I retired from crafts figuring I could never top it.

Now I give CDs or audio tapes of Rubenstein playing Chopin Nocturnes and Waltzes. It's easier for me and no baby has complained yet.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

#14284 - 07/11/01 06:10 AM Re: from work to play
sdps Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Whitehouse, Texas USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rhapsody:
Two of my sisters sometimes go to crafts fairs and try to sell some of their handiwork. These events sound like pure torture to me, but they really seem to enjoy making all sorts of little crafts and milling around with the customers and often buy more than they sell. [ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

Imagine what THEY must think of teaching piano lessons...sitting inside all day, listening to student after student playing less than advanced music (and classical at that...to some people that is pure torture!), listening to incorrect notes.
\:D

#14285 - 07/11/01 07:00 AM Re: from work to play
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
sdps, that is very true. Isn't it nice that everyone can do what they enjoy? I use to love to sew but as I get older, I just don't want to be confined! Actually, it just depends on which personality has kicked in. \:D (That's what my husband says, anyway) :rolleyes: Everytime my daughter comes she comments on how much "stuff" I have and now I am beginning to see it but I am very sentimental. I am trying to be better.

#14286 - 07/11/01 07:13 AM Re: from work to play
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdps:

Imagine what THEY must think of teaching piano lessons...sitting inside all day, listening to student after student playing less than advanced music (and classical at that...to some people that is pure torture!), listening to incorrect notes.
\:D

Snicker, snicker! So true. \:D

But at least our "artwork" doesn't collect dust! Like I said in one of my previous posts, my talent is very much appreciated when someone in the family gets married. I always wonder how many people realize that you can't perform that way without practicing regularly... :rolleyes: I really believe that's the main reason that most people who sign up for piano lessons end up dropping out. They see people performing, & it all looks so easy. They don't stop to consider how much work is involved. Yes, we pianists love the work. To us, the work is fun. But to someone who's not really "into" it, I imagine it seems like pure drudgery & therefore not worth doing. I feel that way about knitting & crocheting! ;\)

Rhapsody, I'm not keen on going to craft fairs, so I imagine it would be pure torture for me to sit out there all day long just to make a few cents. Still, I imagine you could meet a lot of interesting people that way. ;\)

#14287 - 07/11/01 07:37 AM Re: from work to play
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Janice,

Sorry to hear about your wee bunny. I remember seeing a story on the news one time here some people bought a teensy kiddy pool during the dog days of summer. They had a H U G E rabbit that just lolled about in the pool until the weather changed. Might this work?

Since I'm already totally off the topic, let me add I'm having massive problems with sending both my new and old email, including the Piano Club private messaging, the Total Horror, but I haven't had the time to force a Teen Unit to help straighten this mess out. That's not necessarily all bad, because I've used the time to work around the house. :rolleyes: \:D Oops, I digress from the already digressing topic - anyhoo, I'm thinkin' of just pickin' up the phone and calling you JVee. Would you think I'm weird if I do that?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics