Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14230 - 07/10/01 07:35 AM New motivational tools
Marcia Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Hi! I haven't posted for a long time, but have been lurking. (Way too busy with students, computer crash, getting our house ready to go on the market . . .) I did get a motivational idea from the PNO-PED list, tried it out, so I thought I'd pass it on. Have the student play as far as the first mistake in a piece (notes, rhythm, articulation, dynamics, etc.) and place some kind of a marker there, like a removable sticker, small post it, or highliter tape. Then challenge the student to play past that
point with no mistakes, moving it farther each time until the end of the piece is reached. I tried this with a student who always made me want to take a nap in the middle of his pieces. (Sight reading was slow and I wondered if he was even interested in playing the next note, ever!) It was absolutely amazing the change that took place. His whole face brightened up, and within a few minutes he was playing the whole piece correctly and obviously loving it. I challenged him to use the markers I gave him for his home practice. I like this type of motivational idea because I am not a "paper-pusher." I would rather spend time communicating and teaching than writing. It also appears to me that this idea encourages intrinsic, rather than extrinsic motivation.

I do have to say that many parents of my elementary age students have remarked how well their children respond to the extrinsic motivation of earning music bucks to spend at the end of the month. I believe there is a place for both kinds of motivation in my studio. Hopefully by 8th or 9th grade they are studying because they love music so much.

#14231 - 07/10/01 07:47 AM Re: New motivational tools
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Marcia
Great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us.
With older students, I pencil the date at the location of corrections... They know I get my feathers ruffled when I see i.e. 7-2, 7-9, 7-16, etc.
As far as writing so much - If my instructions are ignored after several weeks, I give the pencil to the student and dictate. They really don't like this process and I usually get results the following week. \:\)
I hope you stick around and post more regularly...........

#14232 - 07/10/01 07:57 AM Re: New motivational tools
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Vivace:
I pencil the date at the location of corrections... They know I get my feathers ruffled when I see i.e. 7-2, 7-9, 7-16, etc.

Vivace: My teacher in college did the same thing...I still have my copy of L'Isle Joyeuse with a series of dates scrawled over certain measures!

He was a meanie.

#14233 - 07/10/01 08:09 AM Re: New motivational tools
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Eric
So did my teacher - Am I a meanie? ;\)
My scrawling is with a very light pencil and scrawled in the margins

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Vivace ]

#14234 - 07/10/01 09:45 AM Re: New motivational tools
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
Vivace, regarding the penciling in of dates...where the student has a problem, you just put the date right at that measure? Does the student keep going and say if he has another problem spot, you again write the date? Now, if the next lesson, the student has no problem at the first spot, you erase the date? And if the 2nd spot is still a problem do you erase and add the new date, or include the new date along with the one already there? I'm just trying to clarify this teaching tool which sounds like something I'd really like to use.

I remember one of my teachers put dates on my music (long pieces) when I was working on memorizing. But to date the places that need to be corrected serves as a great accountability visual.

Thanks

#14235 - 07/10/01 10:43 AM Re: New motivational tools
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I've never written dates over or on specific measures. I do, however, write dates in the top corner of the page: the date the piece was first assigned, plus dates when I asked them to review or memorize or whatever. Students usually get serious after only 2-3 dates; 4 at the most. They know that if a primer-level piece takes more than 2 weeks to perfect, I start getting, ahem, concerned. Please, all you that wish to tell me how mean I am in expecting students to master a piece in a week or 2, please remember I'm working with beginners. Their pieces are short & sweet; there's really no earthly reason why they can't learn them in a week or less. But I cut them some slack, allowing for the fact that they're involved in other activities besides piano.

#14236 - 07/10/01 11:57 AM Re: New motivational tools
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
You've every right to expect a piece to be mastered in a couple weeks with beginners.

In fact, I'd say that through the early intermediate stages, two weeks should be enough time to get the basic notes and rhythms down. Anything longer than that, and the reading is lagging behind.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#14237 - 07/10/01 12:41 PM Re: New motivational tools
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
For average students working out of say the Discovering Artist book 2 or book 3, and with a technique and theory assignment along with 1 supplementary piece too, what's a reasonable amount of time to expect the main repertoire piece to be learned (not memorized) in all of your opinions. I also give only 30 min. lessons btw. Thanks.

Vivace, still looking forward to your answer regarding "dating" of problem spots. \:D

#14238 - 07/10/01 03:59 PM Re: New motivational tools
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

original quote by Cecilly
 Quote:
Vivace, regarding the penciling in of dates...where the student has a problem, you just put the date right at that measure? Does the student keep going and say if he has another problem spot, you again write the date? Now, if the next lesson, the student has no problem at the first spot, you erase the date? And if the 2nd spot is still a problem do you erase and add the new date, or include the new date along with the one already there? I'm just trying to clarify this teaching tool which sounds like something I'd really like to use.

I continue to add dates until the problem is
corrected and then erase them. I encourage my advanced students to purchase Urtext editions i.e. Henle, and we often photocopy the piece in order to "scrawl" all over it during the learning process.
Hope this helped.

#14239 - 08/23/01 09:25 PM Re: New motivational tools
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marcia:
[B]Hi! I haven't posted for a long time, but have been lurking.

MARCIA: I HAVE MISSED YOU!

(Way too busy with students, computer crash, getting our house ready to go on the market . . .) I did get a motivational idea from the PNO-PED list, tried it out, so I thought I'd pass it on. Have the student play as far as the first mistake in a piece (notes, rhythm, articulation, dynamics, etc.) and place some kind of a marker there, like a removable sticker, small post it, or highliter tape. Then challenge the student to play past that
point with no mistakes, moving it farther each time until the end of the piece is reached.

NOW THIS IS AN IDEA I THINK I CAN USE. REALLY SOUNDS NEAT! THANKS, MARCIA! \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics