Topic Options
#14160 - 02/20/01 01:14 PM Motivating Teens
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
Something happens when they hit seventh grade. I'd like to hear what everyone does to motivate and inspire young teens who begin to develop that nasty "I think everything is stupid" attitude.

#14161 - 02/20/01 02:01 PM Re: Motivating Teens
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

[ April 14, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeno ]

#14162 - 02/20/01 06:47 PM Re: Motivating Teens
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nebraska
I might have mentioned this before, but the teacher I had when I was 13 was wonderful at motivating me - especially because I was not enthused about piano at that point in my life. He found a popular song I really wanted to play (for every student this would be different, maybe a jazz or classical piece would work as well.) Then he would give me the song ONE page at a time, one at each lesson as long as I came well-prepared and performed all my other work to his satisfaction. It worked for me! This seems to be a good motivator for teens who have passed the stickers, candy, prizes phase, although I have yet to try it out on any of my students.

#14163 - 02/20/01 09:37 PM Re: Motivating Teens
Josh Allen Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: East Texas, USA
I think the most important thing to remember is that these age students are here today, gone tommorrow--they jump from one passion to another.

Talk to the parent and see if they are committed to seeing their child through whatever activity s/he is involved in--INCLUDING making piano a priority. If not, you have to focus everything on the student (not the best situation, but sometimes you just gotta).

Either way, let the student explore a little. If you do something like Guild auditions, go ahead and let him/her take 3 memorized pieces (since they were lazy and just didn't memorize) even though s/he's been taking 10 pieces since they started 5 years ago. Let them become a free spirit (within limits) for a little while and let them feel the consequences of their action (when they are the only one with a "local" membership as opposed to everyone else who is presented with "National" or "International" membership at the spring recital).

While they are sowing their wild oats, do your best to milk as much out of your time together as possible. After all--on any giving week, the lesson time may be the only time they practice until they get motivated! Go through their little ups and downs and be firm in keeping your standards high (scold for lack of practice but don't preach and simply move on). Hope this will inspire you or at least brace you

Josh, if my advice is bull-hockey--I disavow any knowledge of it , Allen

[This message has been edited by Josh Allen (edited 20 February 2001).]

#14164 - 02/26/01 07:30 PM Re: Motivating Teens
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Allen:
Talk to the parent and see if they are committed to seeing their child through whatever activity s/he is involved in--INCLUDING making piano a priority

I thankfully have the parents on MY side. One parent suggested more group-type activities, as she feels that as her daughter approaches adolescence, socializing is becoming more and more paramount. So I scheduled a group "Piano Party" for March 4th! I'm determined to keep these kids motivated!

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts