Topic Options
#14126 - 12/05/00 08:28 AM Magic tricks for practicing
TreehouseMusic Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Winchester, VA
I have been thinking about developing a "toolbox" or "magic hat" full of tools (or tricks) for student practice at home. Maybe some of you can share your special tactics.

So far, my favorite is what I call "target practice", where the student plays a phrase up to and including a troublesome note. I draw a little arrow where I want them to start and a target on the note they should stop on. They rarely want to stop on that note, but when they do, they learn it correctly. Then they can go back and play the whole phrase.

My next favorite is borrowd from Marvin Blickenstaff, "SP3X", or Special Practice Three Times". This brings attention to a larger section that needs work, but I'm always sure to tell them that 3 times may not be enough.

Of course, there's the traditional HS and HT slowly.

Any other ideas we could give a name or symbol to which would fit into their "toolbox"? I thought it might be an idea to decorate an envelope with a toolbox or magic hat, and make icons for each practice tip to put into the box as the student learns it. They could then occasionally review the contents when I ask them how they think they should approach a certain situation.

Linda

#14127 - 12/05/00 09:53 AM Re: Magic tricks for practicing
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
When a child misses a note or measure over and over, I draw what I call my famous glasses over it. This gets their attention everytime they play it. Also if they miss the same note consistently, we SHOUT out the name and they get a kick out of that. After we've done that a few times, they miss it no more!!!Another thing I've probably mentioned is using props. If a child misses something, we get out the big clown glasses or the big magnifying glass and look for the mistake. It makes an impression. I don't know if this is the type of thing you are looking for. Your idea sounds great!

#14128 - 12/05/00 12:05 PM Re: Magic tricks for practicing
Samuel Offline
Resident Member

You might already know about this site, but if you don't, try visiting www.practicespot.com. They have a lot of different and creative tips for students to use while they practice.

#14129 - 12/05/00 02:29 PM Re: Magic tricks for practicing
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel:
You might already know about this site, but if you don't, try visiting www.practicespot.com. They have a lot of different and creative tips for students to use while they practice.

You can also go to this site to print off manuscript paper.

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts