Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14121 - 12/07/00 08:27 AM Re: Christmas/Holiday music
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethann:
I too am enjoying listening to my students playing Christmas music. While I LOVE the PA Christmas primer, I have a couple of early beginners in the Alfred Pre-Reading Christmas Activity Book. The songs are pretty simple for them, but the activities give them a chance to think and they love coloring the pictures.

Also, I have a teenager using the Alfred Adult Top Hits Christmas book (she especially loves playing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" - can't stand it myself!)

Another student is working out of a Christmas duet book, I believe edited by Denis Alexander, and we are having so much fun playing duets together! Anyone else having great success with different Christmas books? (Already planning for next year!)

I had a 10-year-old female student last year who only knew 2 Christmas songs, "Silent Night" & "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." I don't like "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" either, but what's a teacher to do in a situation like this? (This is the same student who, when told to play a piece in march tempo, thought I meant the month of March!)

#14122 - 12/08/00 12:49 AM Re: Christmas/Holiday music
Randall Faber Global Moderator Offline
Resident Member

Here's an idea that has been a big success for our students: Instead of a Christmas recital, have a Christmas open house. The students entertain, taking turns in 10 minute segments. Pay each student a couple dollars for the gig, but also place a jar on the piano for tips. Students love it and so do the parents. Funny, but the students see this as more professional than a recital because they are being paid!

#14123 - 12/08/00 11:32 AM Re: Christmas/Holiday music
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Faber:
Here's an idea that has been a big success for our students: Instead of a Christmas recital, have a Christmas open house. The students entertain, taking turns in 10 minute segments. Pay each student a couple dollars for the gig, but also place a jar on the piano for tips. Students love it and so do the parents. Funny, but the students see this as more professional than a recital because they are being paid!

I love the creative things you come up with. What a great way to psych kids out!

#14124 - 12/26/00 04:07 PM Re: Christmas/Holiday music
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Happy Holidays to all! Just wondering how you end your students'Christmas music for the year. Do you ease out? Do you finish all songs currently being worked on? Do you just stop (or set-aside) ? Lilla

#14125 - 12/29/00 12:54 AM Re: Christmas/Holiday music
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

Lilla: I start Christmas music early in the season. My students and I love it so much.
Since they love it so much, they practice more and make progress and learn things with more ease. Each year I come away from the Christmas music experience feeling that my students have REALLY LEARNED! As to how I end it--as I mentioned earlier, I start early.
Each week I hear the Christmas pieces that were assigned the week before, but I also tell them to keep them up BECAUSE I am going to hear ALL of their Christmas music at the last lesson before Christmas break. I make a BIG thing out of them playing ALL of their Christmas music at this last lesson for me. When that last lesson comes, I listen to ALL of them. Most of the students have them real well and we can stop Christmas music for that year triumphantly. However, a few of the more advanced students may have a few places in some of their pieces that need a little more work. If there are a few things on some that need just a little bit more work, I say---oh, you can get that all worked out OVER the holidays as you won't have school and I don't mind hearing just a few Christmas things after Christmas. Then, I listen to these FEW things the FIRST lesson after Christmas. This plan works beautifully for me Christmas after Christmas.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics