Topic Options
#14033 - 04/15/00 09:44 AM Motivation Meltdown
Mandy Lord Offline

Loc: Topsfield, Ma USA
I am a high school student teacher and I have been teaching my first two students for about 4 1/2 months now. Every week when they leave their lesson they seem to be excited and enthusiastic about their music, but when they return again each week, they are unmotivated. Sometimes it seems to me as though they never once touched a piano throughout the week. I love teaching, I hope to persue it as a career someday, however it is discouraging to see my students lagging. Any suggestions on how to motivate my students and keep them motivated?

#14034 - 04/20/00 09:34 PM Re: Motivation Meltdown
Randall Faber Global Moderator Offline
Resident Member

Mandy, that does sound demoralizing. Though most teachers have had similar experiences on occasion, this isn't the norm. Are your two students siblings? Just as peers can increase enthusiasm, they can ometimes kill motivation. You'll have to work hard over time to develop a community of students and their associates who think making music (in particular the piano) is really cool. Eric in the first topic mentions the importance of music choice. If that is okay, then use an extrinisic motivator, like putting the students in competition with each other for practice time. Is the mother "on board"? Have you worked out a scheduled practice time with the student and parent?

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts