Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13976 - 05/14/00 08:33 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Jennifer DeBrosse Offline
Contributing Member

Since moving to a new town this past year, I had many beginner students at my recital this year. They played mostly FJH and Alfred elementary sheet solos and PlayTime repertoire. I also played a lot of teacher-student duets. I highly recommend "Folk Songs for my Teacher & Me" by Kathleen Massoud. There are two volumes and a Hymn collection. The student duets are in Middle C position and the teacher duets are WONDERFUL. I also enjoy the FJH Teacher/Student duet series; my program even had a few duets from the Lesson books.
I used to order from Patti Music, they offer great service. I now order from Burt because they offer 20% off everything (including sheet music) and no shipping $ if you order more than 20 items (never a problem). I order all my FJH music (the bulk of my teaching materials) from the company at 40% (new release club). My suite is not available yet through Patti (I imagine it will be next year), but it is available at stores, Burt's and sometimes I receive promotions from Heritage.
I can't wait to hear other teacher's favorite repertoire! Thanks, Jennifer

#13977 - 05/14/00 09:36 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Thanks for the suggestions, Jennifer. I was not familiar with the folk song book you mentioned and can't wait to check it out.

I had a brainstorm for a summer camp idea at your mention of the Faber duet books! I'm thinking of offering a partner lesson option for 4 weeks, calling it "Duet-It in the Summer." 4 weeks of lessons with the equivalent of 8 weeks of instruction time, including fun & games with a partner.

#13978 - 05/17/00 08:00 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
MelissaB Offline

Loc: Churubusco, IN
Thanks for the great lists that everyone is posting! I can't wait to find some of these pieces. I have a young man who will be a freshman in the fall and I want to find him some "cool" pieces to play. He's very classical-y oriented and is not into the pop scene. We did a movie theme for our recital this year and he thoroughly enjoyed
"Mission: Impossible". Who doesn't!? He is currently finishing up Alfred Level 2 and I feel to keep his interest, I would like to find a few pieces that sound difficult but are within his grasp. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Melissa

#13979 - 05/17/00 08:02 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
MelissaB Offline

Loc: Churubusco, IN
Sorry - it's me again. I forgot to ask if anyone has a phone number, address, email or website for Burt's? Sounds like several of us are interested!! If someone has this info, please could you share it with the rest of us? Thanks!

Melissa

#13980 - 05/17/00 08:26 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Melissa,
Check out a sheet music solo by Robert Vandall called "Open Range." It's great for boys. Lisa

#13981 - 05/17/00 01:12 PM Re: Motivating Pieces
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I've ordered all of the Halloween solos you guys suggested for my October recital! Here's another question that someone might be able to help me with. On my recital, I will also be playing. In the past I've played:
Funeral March (Chopin)
Diabolical Suggestion (Prokofiev)
4th Mephisto Waltz (Liszt)
Any ideas for other Halloween-0riented repertoire that I might perform?

#13982 - 05/18/00 10:41 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Gretchen Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I too play for my students at recitals. At the last halloween recital I played Bartok's Bagatelle Op.6 no.2 and Kabalevsky's Prelude Op. 38, no.2 . There's so much macabre sounding repertoire to choose from it's often hard to settle on 1 thing. Here are a few other Halloween themed pieces for students at the elem.level:
Gate In The Wind (Perdew)
Ghost Next Door (Poe)
Goblins and Banshees (M. Clark)
Witches Waltz (Vandall)
Cat On the Prowl (Sell)
Halloween Night (Demarest)
For intermediates:
Lame Witch Lurking In the Forest, Op.31 (Rebikov)
Bagatelle No. 1 Op 5 (Tcherepnin)

Myklas Music has a lot of good Halloween music. They even provide thematic catalogs upon request. Their web site is www.Myklas.com. Happy teaching.

#13983 - 05/18/00 11:01 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
Gretchen, thanks for your ideas. In terms of what I will play, for some reason I was looking for something with a "spooky" descriptive title....thanks for expanding my horizons a bit to include pieces in the repertoire that have a generic title but a specifically "macabre" feel!

#13984 - 05/26/00 10:34 AM Re: Motivating Pieces
Audrey Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN, USA
Wonderful comments and great music. I too, use duets in my recital. In my own studio, I try to match up students with students and they practice their duets with me at their lesson and/or with the electronic keyboard midi disc that I made of their duet before or after each lesson. After each student has learned their duet and practiced it with me both students come at the same time and they practice together for the first time with me at a lesson, which I call a duet lesson. They need to be able to practice together a minimum of 1 time/week after that to perform their duet in the recital. I'm sure you've all found that when a student practices a duet with a partner who is not the teacher, it really necessitates good listening, counting, and a true ensemble feeling. I have a sizeable duet repertoire that I choose from each year, and of course have many favorites, some of which are for 3 students @ 1 piano = trios.
For some of my students, this is the most fun for them because; 1) they get to do their music WITH someone else, they look forward to a 'reward' of getting to be with someone else during practice time (gets rid of the lonliness some students who are very social feel), 2)Encourages them at the recital and eases performance anxiety because someone else is there with them, 3) They seem to practice harder because they don't want to be the person who doesn't know their part.
If a student to student match cannot be made, I ask the student to consider a parent as a partner, or I become their partner. We just have so much fun with this whole thing. Another added benefit with me as their partner 'perfecting' a duet for a recital; we practice our practice techniques at their lesson, reinforcing what and how they should be dealing with practice in their solo repertoire. My observations on this last part - I have found out which students really need more help in their practice habits.

#13985 - 05/26/00 08:11 PM Re: Motivating Pieces
Chenny Offline
Contributing Member

Audrey, would you recommend some of your favorite duet collections for elem. level students? Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics