Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13629 - 10/11/05 06:13 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
keynote88 Offline
Resident Member

I have been here before, but I haven't actually introduced myself. I have taught piano lessons for beginning - intermediate level students at my church for 3 years now, and I also taught piano lessons for my church's on site elementary school for the past 2 years. I currently have 14 students, and would like to have around 20. Hopefully, things will pick up soon. :-)

-keynote88
Piano Adventures Teacher

#13630 - 10/11/05 06:19 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Ahhhh, Eastern Canada, North Carolina, Idaho, Connecticut....beautiful places all--now I've got the wanderlust, bad! \:D

#13631 - 10/12/05 05:05 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
CQ Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: bloomington, MN
This is a great idea--it would be fun to hear about those that have been around awhile, too!! I'm Cindy, and taught for 7 years at the advice of my college piano teacher before I wanted a day off!! I'm now in my 13th year and have about 50 students. I'm a native of Minnesota, taught in various locations when my husband was in the military. Favorite locations were Japan (4 years), California (4 years), and Hawaii (4 months). My girls are 21 & 27 and I have a gradson 7 years, a granddaughter (1 year) and a wonderful son-in-law. When I was younger I enjoyed needlework, knitting, crochet, basketing, sewing, gardening, piano (of course) and ballet. During the past several years my interests are mainly in reading, walking our corgi, Pascal and playing piano. I only have a patio now, but still have a pot or two of flowers each season. Still consider a ballet class, but who can move anymore??? I think I'm exhausted from all those activities in my younger days!

#13632 - 10/12/05 08:04 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
CQ Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: bloomington, MN
Keynote88-Some ideas on getting more students. Introduce yourself to area music teachers--parents often ask them for referrals for piano teachers. Bring business cards and/or a pamphlet about your studio. Some teachers I went to also have a bulletin board to post info about lessons. If you haven't already, ask to post info at area music stores and leave business cards there as well. Volunteer your time to music teachers as accompanist or in the classroom. Advertise in your local paper--Aug and Jan are good times. Offering a free introductory lesson gets them in the door. Consider teaching outside your home 1 day a week if this is an option to attract students from another area if student population is a problem. Good luck!

#13633 - 11/01/05 04:06 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

Keynote88, I totally understand your frustration! Like you, Iíve been running my studio as a business for 2 years (going on my 3rd year), but I still have about 15 and Iím aiming for 30 or 35 at the very most. (My max was 20 students at one time, but people come and go and sometimes itís due to circumstances beyond my control!) So yeah, Iím pretty frustrated. But how is your studio doing sizewise right now? \:\) I hope itís getting better! [P.S. Your (married) surname is (deleted by moderator)?]

CQ (er, Cindy), Iíve tried some of your suggestions a long time agoóthey didnít work. Talk about almost zero results. Iíve tried putting business cards all over (in music stores, etc.) Nothing came out of it so far and it's been a few years. Most of the teachers in the area donít bother to give me referrals or too darned busy to do it for me, so Iím an independent music teacher in the truest sense of the word. Iím independent because Iíve mostly helped myself. Iíve been placing ads in the classifieds published weekly by a (renowned) local med school, and it has worked quite well with me (but usually only between January to August with some slow months in between). (Health care professionals populate the area where the school is located and it has a strong church culture, so music and the arts are quite a big thing for these folks.) But to obtain more students, weíve got to use more than just one method, and Iím dying to get my studio full. (Iím still halfway there.) Itís the only kind of advertising that has worked for me so far. Iíve tried the Internet, but it isnít quite great. (I mostly get inquiries from flakes and price shoppers who want to find out my rates right off the bat even before finding out about my qualifications first! AAARGGHHH! ) Iíve recently placed a Yellow Page display ad, and Iím crossing my fingers (and toes!) that it will work! Just last night on Halloween, I tried a little something newóinstead of giving candies to the trick-or-treaters, I gave them brochures and offered them free lessons. Some of them actually took my brochures. I donít know if theyíll ever call me, though. Like Iíve said earlier, only the classifieds have worked so far.

(BTW, my mom was about to name me Cindy after I was born, but one of her friends beat her to it! )

#13634 - 11/01/05 04:54 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Happy Birthday xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
 Quote:
Originally posted by Manon Troppo:
[qb] Keynote88, [P.S. Your (married) surname is (deleted by moderator)]

Just last night on Halloween, I tried a little something newóinstead of giving candies to the trick-or-treaters, I gave them brochures and offered them free lessons. Some of them actually took my brochures. I donít know if theyíll ever call me, though. Like Iíve said earlier, only the classifieds have worked so far.
Just curious...I hope keynote doesn't mind you "outting" her with real name. I think that's why we are have these nics - to be anonymous. As for handing out brochures and lesson info instead of candy???? I would bet once the word got out, you didn't get many trick-or-treaters. JMO

#13635 - 11/02/05 04:05 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

LOL...I didn't have any candies at the moment! I was too busy to even *think* about buying some! Plus I didn't even plan to stay up all night to tend to the trick-or-treaters after teaching because I was about to leave for my graveyard-shift 2nd job, so I had to take some nap! So this brochure distro stuff was a last-minute plan that I pulled off. :p I've heard that other people have done similar things such as giving out biz cards along with the candies.

P.S. As for the "outing" thing, it was just an oversight, really. My apologies. \:\( Had I known the rule, I wouldn't do it. Besides, it's something I wouldn't do, especially if the person had expressed specifically that nothing be revealed about him/her. It was just something that I found on the person's weblink on this forum. That's all. It's just harder to deal and communicate with people on the Internet since you don't see face to face. Things would be much smoother IRL (in real life). OK, I hope everything's all good now. \:\)

#13636 - 11/02/05 04:36 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
OK, I am confoosed. What did I miss, and why are posts edited by Jon? Enquiring Minds must know! \:D

CQ, I am a corgi owner as well. Do you have a pembroke or a cardigan? I had two pembrokes, which I believe should be the Minimum Requirement by God if not for the Hair Issue, but due to a tragic series of ridiculousness, my beloved Pete is no longer with us. He was the character of all characters, as all corgis are. I am left with Miss Dixie, who will be 13 on Pearl Harbor Day. If I ever win the lottery, my goal will be to have at least 6. If you ever get a chance, sneak a peek at Kirsti Alley's book, which recounts her hilarious attempt to start an annual corgiathon in Maine with her mother corgi and all the offspring owned by her friends and relatives.

#13637 - 11/02/05 07:01 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Happy Birthday xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
Please paste a picture of a corgi for those of us who have no idea what they are. I have a Shih Tzu but we keep him well trimmed. I'll have none of that hair to the floor business like the show dogs.

#13638 - 11/02/05 07:13 AM Re: Hey Newbies! Tell Us About Yourselves
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

Oh, it's Dr. Lisa in da houuuuuse. \:D Here I am, bringing you the latest issue of National Piano Enquirer! :p NOT AVAILABLE on newsstands ANYWHERE! LOL! As for Jon editing the posts, it was an honest oversight on my part. He had to edit mine because I did something wrong, but like I've said earlier, it was an unintentional mistake. So it's all under control now. \:\)

Anyhow, the reason I joined the forum is that I see lots of lively posts here - Dr. Lisa being one of the standouts.

Hey, BTW, I'm a dog fancier, too! I have an 11-year-old cocker spaniel and two cats. I call them my "kids" and as for my three parakeets, I call them my stepkids because I don't care much for them. :p (Meanie ol' me!) But it seems to me that most musicians love animals! \:\)

OK, that'll be it for now. Gotta go to bed!

Cheers,

The Aspiring Dr. Lisa (LOLOLOL!)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members