Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#13617 - 12/23/05 09:16 AM Re: Meals part 2
VioletBeauregarde Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SOUP
This is a favorite soup that I make every holiday season at Christmastime. It is wonderful and well worth the time to make. \:\)

1 bunch of fresh broccoli - trim 1 inch off of the stalk and discard. Cut the rest of it up into course chop.

1 1/2 cups peeled, diced red potatoes
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup whipping cream, chilled
red pepper flakes, to taste (I use about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
3 leeks- cut off the green at the top. Slice into 1 inch pieces and rinse well! (leeks get sand between the layers so washing well is important)

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese (you can use fresh or the canned variety, either works well)

1/2 cup chopped curly parsley
8 cups chicken broth or stock

HINT: This soup works alot easier if you prep out all your veggies first. They need to be added one after the other right at the correct time for this soup to work. It is also a BIG time saver in making this.

What you do:
In a LARGE soup or stock pot put the olive oil and butter. Melt together over a high heat. Add leeks, onion and garlic. Stir. Let them simmer together about 5 minutes until they are tender (transparent). Add the chicken stock/broth. Reduce heat to medium. Add your potatoes, broccoli. Let cook on medium heat about 20 minutes until every thing is fork tender. Add the parsley and pepper flakes. Turn the heat OFF. Let stand about 5 minutes. Using an invection blender (stick blender) blend the soup until smooth and cream like. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN INVECTION BLENDER SEE BELOW.
Then add the cheese and and whipping cream. Stir into the soup until creamy. Serve hot. This soup will keep in the fridge several days and will reheat nicely. I serve it with either diced green pepper pieces OR croutons and a little sprinkled cheese on top.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN INVECTION BLENDER:
In a food processor ladel soup into 2-3 cup batches and puree in the food processor. Transfer the pureed soup into a second large pot until it is all pureed. This way takes a little longer but you will get the same results as you would with an invection blender. \:\)

ENJOY!!

#13618 - 12/23/05 09:40 AM Re: Meals part 2
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Poor Woman's Turtles
1 bag Rolos
Tiny Twists pretzels
pecan halves

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lay the pretzels out on it. Put a Rolo on each pretzel. Bake 4 minutes or until the Rolos look shiny. Remove from oven and press a pecan into each rolo. It will smash the carmelly chocolatey goodness all over the pretzel, where it will constrast with the salt & crunch of the pretzel. Oops, I digress.... \:o Let cool and then refrigerate, storing in a tin container or something.

WARNING: Do not make these if alone, depressed, or hormonally challenged, because you might possibly eat an entire tray of 'em.

I got the recipe at a WW meeting and they are only ONE point each! AND they look impressive with no work. The biggest part of the job is unwrapping the Rolos.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics