Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#13010 - 03/17/06 11:17 AM Re: A child that doesn't seem to progress....
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
That is true, Susan. The English language can be a little different for each generation. Remember when Beaver and Wally use to say their dad yelled at them when he was lecturing!? June and Ward were dumbfounded. (For you youngsters on the board that was Leave it to Beaver). I digress...... I almost lost it last week with a 6th gr. boy. He didn't bring his assignment book and a couple of other books he works from AGAIN (2-3 times in a row) plus he gave me this attitude. Not an in-your-face but subtle. Caught him hiding a little half smile/smirk when I was talking to him about it. I told him if he didn't want to cooperate we would part company. (He probably didn't know what that meant). His older bro. was also in the room so maybe he translated. ;\) Kids do try you from time to time. It is amazing we have the patience we do!

#13011 - 03/17/06 03:29 PM Re: A child that doesn't seem to progress....
Ginger Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
"Looking back on when my kids were little, a couple of things I would do differently: I would NOT watch those silly parenting segments on the Today Show or Good Morning America. I would not read certain parenting magazines that advocated negotiating with your two-year-old, and flamed & skewered anyone who dared believe that spanking could be an appropriate punishment."

I agree. It's not a good thing to let the media run your home. It's one thing when you are trying to look for different ways to approach different children. But it's another thing when we have to let the evening news tell us what we need to be doing with our children and our families.

#13012 - 03/18/06 12:45 PM Re: A child that doesn't seem to progress....
VioletBeauregarde Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
Society somehow became brainwashed along the way when it came to raising children and setting limits. Parent's suddenly got the idea that the media knew more about how their child should be raised than they did.
It's also at the point parents (and kids) feel they are owed some huge award just for showing up or putting their name on a paper. UGH! It's expected they will get "treats" or "stickers" or some other award "because". Makes me want to just gag at times- especially when they expect it and just reach for it without being given it whether they did the task given them well or not.
You just know if we as teachers stopped having awards at recitals, stickers at lessons or special contests to motivate our students they would all throw their heads back and howl. It does make me appreciate the unspoiled ones, the ones that dont' truly expect anything in return other than the words "that was amazing!" or "great job".
It is especially hard as a private music instructor because parents expect it even more it seems. I'm so glad that I'm moving to a new state soon and can restart my studio this fall and make it as simple as I want it to be. At least with this new group if they don't know it is ever there they can't "expect it" as part of lessons, I hope. \:\)

#13013 - 03/18/06 01:28 PM Re: A child that doesn't seem to progress....
AnnelieseDanae Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Texas
Violet- Moving to Texas won't be the answer for a bigger and better piano student, but it definitely helps that you're moving to an awesome state! \:\)

I never received any sort of honorable mention in piano playing when I was younger. It wasn't till I was 17 years old that I got my very first personal acknowledgement and a trophy. I do agree with Violet that some students do expect so much to perform well, but fortunately I am blessed with students who don't require lots of prizes and/or stickers to be motivated.

"Practicing is the key to success"

#13014 - 03/18/06 01:49 PM Re: A child that doesn't seem to progress....
AnnelieseDanae Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Texas
oops...in my above statement I wrote piano student and I meant to write piano STUDIO (in my first paragraph)....sorry if that didn't make sense. :-)

"Practicing is the key to success"

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums