Age?

Posted by: eaHarris

Age? - 09/16/06 06:22 AM

In the interview of the Fabers in the latest "Keyboard Companion," Nancy and Randall tell how they met a piano teachers' workshop and how they were the only two teachers there that were under 50. Boy do I know what that's like!

I appreciate the older teachers that have been teaching forever, and I know that there's a lot that I can learn from them. But I would be interested to know how many of you are under 50? Or even, (like myself) under 30?
Posted by: alidoremi

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 06:32 AM

I'm 43, but I feel more like young thirties. Probably comes from teaching those 2 year olds and all the up-and-down activities that go along with that age group.
Posted by: luvslive

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 06:57 AM

yes, i see what they mean. whenever i am surrounded by piano teachers it becomes pretty clear that piano teachers just keep going, not retiring but teaching into old age. luckily i do know some teachers my own age, i will turn 25 next month.
Posted by: keynote88

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 10:46 AM

I'm in my twenties, and have been teaching for 6 years. I really enjoy it, and the pay is preety good too, now that my studio is built up!

-keynote88
Posted by: Jennifer

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 11:25 AM

Ha! Ha! I am 34. I think it would be great to continue teaching into my 50's and 60's if I'm still up to it. Where I moved from all of us in the MTA Chapter were actually younger. There were only two ladies that were older (both I think in their 60's). In my first MTA meeting the other day where I moved to it was a nice mix.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 12:30 PM

I'm ancient to you. However, I well remember when I started teaching at age 21. It seems like the other day. I thought a 35 year old teacher was really old. One of these days you will look around and wonder how you got to be old!
I think in many ways I'm a better teacher now that I have been around the block. Having my own children (now grown) helped me a lot.
I've always loved children and I have a very child-like sense of humor. The secret to being an older piano teacher is to keep up with what's new, and to really love what you're doing.
I'm glad there are young teachers here. You're great, and we need new blood in the profession!
Posted by: John

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 01:36 PM

I just turned 41 last Wednesday, feel like an old soul, but people guess my age between 28-32...gotta love that!

I think most of us piano teachers who are passionate about children and music will teach until our last dying breath, and that final gasp will probably be something like, "Slow Down!".
Posted by: pianoannie

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John:
[QB] I just turned 41 last Wednesday, feel like an old soul, but people guess my age between 28-32...gotta love that!
OK, now I MUST see a picture of you! And I must know your secrets to such a youthful appearance!!

As to my age, I will say only that I am between youth and old age, according to the saying
"40 is the old age of youth, and 50 is the youth of old age."

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 04:27 PM

http://profiles.yahoo.com/bisceglia2000

For pianoannie's eyes only..... \:o ;\)
Posted by: xstitch4me

Re: Age? - 09/16/06 07:43 PM

Oops I peeked! Nice pic John. BTW - I guess I'm an oldie compared to most of you. I'm 43 and been teaching for a very, very long time. Luckily, this year is starting off very nice.....not an annoying student in the lot! Woo hoo for me.
Posted by: SharonAdelle

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 10:42 AM

I'm 37 and I'm pretty sure that I'm the youngest piano teacher in my town. My own kids are all school age, and at one teachers meeting someone said to me--"ah you are where I used to be when my kids weree young" She was talking about the crazy house sometimes with interruptions from my own kids. I try to have them started in their homework etc.., but there's always a question here and there.
Posted by: cecilly

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 11:46 AM

I'm 47, so I'm moving into the "older" group of teachers I suppose. Oh well, I think my energy level tho (at least in terms of my teaching) is still that of someone in their 30's!! My students never guess my age as nearing 50.
Posted by: lagin

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 03:03 PM

*Edited out to increase survival chances in the guess who's who game.*

I will gladly replace the above information with my age and teaching experience after the game is over \:\)
Posted by: Ceil

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 03:44 PM

Oh, alright -- I'll get in on this too and say that so far I'm the oldest (I still remember when I was always the youngest, and wished I wasn't -- ahh). Anyway, a couple of years ago I passed over the fifty mark (hurts to type it, but I'm getting used to it). My husband says I still look like I'm in my thirties, bless his heart, and others seem to think I'm somewhere in that range too. That's about the age I feel. I agree, highlights help!
Posted by: GailS

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Celia:
Oh, alright -- I'll get in on this too and say that so far I'm the oldest (I still remember when I was always the youngest, and wished I wasn't -- ahh). Anyway, a couple of years ago I passed over the fifty mark (hurts to type it, but I'm getting used to it). My husband says I still look like I'm in my thirties, bless his heart, and others seem to think I'm somewhere in that range too. That's about the age I feel. I agree, highlights help!
This thread has been making me feel a bit over the hill.

I'm also over the 50 mark by *just* a couple years. Of course, I also look young for my age. (OK, 'Nice an Easy' helps a bit.)

I started teaching piano 15 years ago when my children were in elementary school. It allowed me to be home with them. I worked up to full time as they got a bit older (the last ten years). I plan to go back to a part time schedule as, or when, I reach what I decide is my retirement age. I love the flexibility it has had and continues to have through life's stages.

To those who wonder if they will still want to be doing this when they are heading toward or in retirement, I can't see why not. I still love teaching, I still love the kids.

Admittedly, Iím not quite as good at hopping around with the preschoolers as I once was, but with a bit of imagination Iíve adjusted the activities.
Posted by: AnnelieseDanae

Re: Age? - 09/17/06 05:30 PM

Okay...I'm young. I JUST turned 20 this week!
Posted by: shannonspiano

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 06:04 AM

Yeah I knew there was young blood on here. I'm 27, and have been teaching for 6 years. I am the youngest member of my WMTA group, the oldest turned 80 a couple years ago. With many others in the 50-60 age range.
Posted by: panoplr

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 06:11 AM

True confession time - I'm going to be 48 next month. But I don't feel it, except at the end of a long teaching day! Having my first child later in life keeps me under the illusion that I am much younger than my birth certificate would indicate. Some of my high school friends are grandmothers! "You are already a grandmother? Why, my child is only 10 years old! I must be so much younger than you." Of course, hair color and a good push up bra helps considerably!
Posted by: Lilla

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 07:31 AM

Well, I'm not responding to the age question, but I began teaching out of my home about 10 years ago as part of my retirement planning. This is how I expect (and pray) to support myself through retirement. Not the best plan, but I feel ever so lucky to be able to do this. I took a very long hiatus from teaching and playing while I pursued a corporate career and raised a family. We are now empty nesters, I no longer work in the corporate arena, and I have been fortunate enough to build up my studio to the point where I can now live off it if need be. I only pray now for continued good health. That's the difference between under 50 and over 50.

OMG - I just noticed the push-up bra comment. (John, you can bow out for a second please). Twice in the past few months I poked at an odd looking lump of fat while slouching on the couch, and discovered it was something that didn't used to be in that location!!! I was sooo embarassed and have never told anyone but you!!! I must throw away everything that is not an excellent pushing up bra.

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 08:16 AM

Dont feel bad for being over 50! It seems like there is a bigger percentage of young people on this forum than would be at a typical gathering of piano teachers, so we need you "more experienced" ones to balance us out!
Posted by: Jennifer

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 09:05 AM

You should never be ashamed of your age no matter how old (or young) you are. Wear it proud. Everyone gets older, it's a fact of life. So be proud of your age and all the experiences (good or bad) you go through. Those experiences make us wiser. Continue to learn and grow each day. Be happy you are still alive and kicking! You never know when your time is up no matter how old you are. I think teaching helps us stay, feel and even look younger than we might be.

Those who are young, learn from those older with more experience. Those who are older, learn from those who are young. We all have something to offer eachother.

It's nice to see a broad range of ages on this board. I learn something from each one of you everyday.
\:D
Posted by: clarinetlady

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 09:07 AM

I'm another young teacher, am 28 and have been officially teaching since November 1999, when I got my first two clarinet students from my first clarinet teacher. Have produced two students who earned over 90 on RCM exams, including one that is getting the silver medal for RCM Grade 4 clarinet. Moved into having my own studio location about 1 1/2 years ago, before I was exclusively travel teaching, but will be phasing it out after December. Working on getting my clarinet ARCT, which has a piano requirement.

Perform on a regular basis, both on clarinet and piano, most often in my monthly concerts with my boyfriend. Have a studio of about 20 students (I lost track at 15) Also compose and arrange music.

Getting referrals from 4 families on a regular basis. Quite a few studio extras, like an on-site pianist for clarinet students, use of theory, notation, ear-training software and music-related games, student recitals (twice a year), ensemble work (for both piano and clarinet students!)

Meri
Posted by: VioletBeauregarde

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 09:44 AM

Started teaching when I was 18... it's been 17 years of teaching for me and still going- you do the math. \:\)

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 11:20 AM

Wow Clarinet lady, 2 distinctions and a silver medal! Just in case some of you don't know, that means that her student got the highest mark in the entire province for that year. For which province is that anyway?
Posted by: pianoc

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 01:11 PM

I'm 44 and plan to teach way into retirement - whatever that means. I plan to move into a retirement home and teach piano to all the old people that always wished they'd had the time to learn piano.

That's after I'm 80 - or so. I also plan to live to be 120 - so I think I have many - many more years of teaching piano.
Posted by: Arlene Steffen

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 01:57 PM

43. Just started to think about what age I'd give up teaching. Hmmm.
Posted by: pianosa

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 05:13 PM

23. Everybody thinks I'm somewhere between 13 and 17. Ouch!

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 06:05 PM

Hey, since I was brave enough to post a link to a picture, is anyone else willing to share?

A few years ago Janice stirred things up and we had such fun trying to guess who was who when she posted our pics on her website....
Posted by: Doenny

Re: Age? - 09/18/06 06:14 PM

I'm 24, and have just started my 7th year of teaching. As far as posting a pic, I'll have to think on that!

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 02:58 AM

My picture's on my website:

http://harrispiano.home.mchsi.com

The website is about a year behind -- I've moved and I've changed some policies. I need to get my husband to do some updates on the site.
Posted by: xstitch4me

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 03:47 AM

I think my pics still on my profile \:D

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 04:14 AM

Quote:
Hey, since I was brave enough to post a link to a picture, is anyone else willing to share?

A few years ago Janice stirred things up and we had such fun trying to guess who was who when she posted our pics on her website....
Oh yes, that was a lot of fun! People never look like I think they should! (including you John---and yes, you do look quite young for being a member of the 40+ club). I'll try to figure out how to link to a picture of me.

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 08:09 AM

Hey! Don't laugh. There's a retirement village right around the corner and I know of at least one lady who teaches voice out of her townhome there. She can't stand up for very long and so people don't ask her to sing anymore and I know she is heartbroken about that. But she still teaches. To all ages, not just retirement folks.

And a funny note - I might have posted this before. I had a gentleman from a different retirement home come to start lessons, and he called to cancel because it turned out that the piano in the lobby where he intended to practice wasn't real. It was filled with flowers! Poor thing - I felt so sorry for him.

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoc:
I'm 44 and plan to teach way into retirement - whatever that means. I plan to move into a retirement home and teach piano to all the old people that always wished they'd had the time to learn piano.

That's after I'm 80 - or so. I also plan to live to be 120 - so I think I have many - many more years of teaching piano.

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 12:13 PM

At a Jane Bastien workshop that I attended recently, she told of a lady that she knew that did give lessons to everyone in her retirement home! She said that there was a line of wheelchairs up to the lobby piano with the residents waiting for their turn to practice and that they all loved learning to play!
Posted by: metamorph

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 02:45 PM

I'm 28, and just starting, again. When I first tried to start up I ended up getting sidetracked by my two kids' arrivals. Children will do that. Now they're 4 and 5, and I'm SO ready to start again.

Do you think there are generational differences in how we teach? The whole generation x thing, you know... slightly different values resulting in slightly different pedagogical goals.
Posted by: Ginger

Re: Age? - 09/19/06 03:46 PM

I'm 27. I just posted a picture on my profile. Sorry it's so BIG!
Posted by: pianoc

Re: Age? - 09/20/06 01:47 AM

I can't see the picture on your profile. Do I have to do something special to my settings to get it?

Re: Age? - 09/20/06 03:18 PM

MMMM, I don't know, I can see it, but the picture is just really big so I have to scroll down. Sorry!

Re: Age? - 09/20/06 05:01 PM

I'm not sure why, but I right-clicked on where the picture is supposed to be on Ginger's profile, clicked "copy," and then "pasted" it into a Word document -- and it worked. Very cute kids, Ginger!

Re: Age? - 09/20/06 05:45 PM

I think we should do a piano page like when Janice (or someone) did it a long time ago. We'd email her our pics and she'd post them on an extra page on her own website. Anyone?

Or maybe the PIANO CLUB can do a page where we send our pics and they post them. (??)

Re: Age? - 09/21/06 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by harrispiano:
I'm not sure why, but I right-clicked on where the picture is supposed to be on Ginger's profile, clicked "copy," and then "pasted" it into a Word document -- and it worked. Very cute kids, Ginger!
Thanks for the tip! That worked for me too.
Ginger, what steps did you go through to put your pic on your profile?

Re: Age? - 09/21/06 04:34 AM

I just copied the link from my family's blog. I guess that didn't work! If anyone wants to see me and my "cute kids", I can email you if you sent me a PM with your address.

To what alidoremi said: someone could start a blog. They are free from google, and pretty fun I might add!
Posted by: pianoplayinmonkey

Re: Age? - 09/21/06 09:44 AM

I'm 19, been teaching since 16. It is great to start young, it establishes what you already have learned
Posted by: AdrienneM

Re: Age? - 09/22/06 05:18 AM

Hi all! I'll be 35 in October. I plan to teach as long as I possibly can -- or as long as DH and DD let me use the livingroom as a lobby, LOL! I just did the math: I have been teaching for 15 years. Wow. It does go by fast. My DD just turned 2 in August and it seems like we just announced her birth a few weeks ago . . .

Re: Age? - 09/22/06 05:22 AM

Quote:
Hi John! I remember that. It was fun. I could set up a photo album that we could all share if you'd like. Just give me time to set it up.

~Adrienne coming out of long-term Lurkdom

Re: Age? - 09/22/06 03:17 PM

I'd send in a picture if you set it up.

Re: Age? - 09/23/06 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lagin:
I'd send in a picture if you set it up.
Okay! Anyone else want to play? I can set something up this weekend and then I will post a new topic with how to send a picture.

Re: Age? - 09/23/06 07:13 AM

Oh dear.....another delightful distraction like the one in 2001!

Re: Age? - 09/23/06 11:51 AM

Sure, count me in.
Posted by: D'Net

Re: Age? - 09/24/06 08:26 PM

I'm 33 years old, and have taught for about 15 years. I really enjoy teaching, as I can work at home, and it really hepls keep me sane with my little family. Something else to think about besides potty training. ;\)
Posted by: mirlou

Re: Age? - 09/24/06 09:12 PM

I'm 36. I thought I was one of the youngest teachers here, reading all your wise comments that seem to be the results of at least 50 years of teaching experience! \:\)

Re: Age? - 09/25/06 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D'Net:
I'm 33 years old, and have taught for about 15 years. I really enjoy teaching, as I can work at home, and it really hepls keep me sane with my little family. Something else to think about besides potty training. ;\)
D'Net -- LOL. I hear you! I could have written your post (okay, except I'm 34 *sigh*). Even the potty training part!
Posted by: Rhondo

Re: Age? - 09/25/06 02:34 PM

Ditto. I have been teaching for 20 years and have two small kids at home. I love being home with my kids and being able to teach from my home studio. I have a babysitter who comes in to watch the little ones while I'm teaching.

And yes, I was one of those who lost brain cells during pregnancy.

Re: Age? - 09/25/06 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhondo:
And yes, I was one of those who lost brain cells during pregnancy.
Me, too! Unfortunately, I think I am continuing to lose them, LOL.

Re: Age? - 09/28/06 07:51 AM

When I had my first baby I complained to my boss about being so ditzy all of a sudden. He said it comes with motherhood and that his children had gotten his wife a license plate that read
"SPACE 1". So welcome to the club.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhondo:
. . .And yes, I was one of those who lost brain cells during pregnancy.